My current setup: Good?

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by Shaun Hinds, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Shaun Hinds

Shaun Hinds Member

Hey all! I am just getting into cassettes and a few years back I found this setup and added it to my HiFi station. I haven't used it much but it seems to work very well. The system on top is a Phillips Home Theater system HTS3544 with some solid surround sound speakers. Next, of course, is the cassette deck: a Sony TC-FX210 and below it a Sony STR-VX200 Receiver. My question is whether or not this is a decent setup for a beginner? I have an option available to purchase a $200 Pioneer CT-F900 (but I don't know if I should get it). What do you think?

Sorry for the shoddy photo!

[​IMG]

Mister X and ciclosysombras like this.
  2. ciclosysombras

ciclosysombras Member

I'm not alone. My first setup was a main mini hifi Philips (yes, the all in one mini hifi that has a double cassette, radio and 3 CD charger), an Akai CS-F210, changed the pair of speakers by a pair of Aiwa SX 70, adding a Pioneer CT-S530 and a Dual 1235 turntable.

Actually i continue using part of this setup. The mini hifi as amplifier, the Pioneer deck, the aiwa speakers but i sold the Akai deck and added another pair of speakers (unknown models mounted on a Sony APM boxes) conected on serial scheme with Aiwa pair (one sony box with aiwa box on serial for each chanel). I achive better sound using this setup.

In your case, the next step is similar to mine, replace the home cinema by dedicated audio amplifier and add a couple of decent speakers. Greetings!!

Jorge likes this.
  3. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Hey Shaun Hinds if you are happy with the setup and it sounds good to you then it’s a good start, doesn't matter what anyone else think. Enjoy what you have and if not, start looking for something else.

autoreverser and Boodokhan like this.
  4. Shaun Hinds

Shaun Hinds Member

I know its middle of the road on quality and it doesn't have Dolby B,C or S (thats my main complaint). I have recorded using the deck and it seems to record on the low end for volume. It took me several tries to get the levels right. I love the look though. I may shell out soon for that Pioneer I have been watching on my local Facebook Marketplace. The CT-F900 seems to be a favorite around here.

5. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Dolby is not necessary, I personally don’t use Dolby. If you are using good cassettes plus recording from a quiet source, no NR is needed well I find I don’t need it. Plus no NR means better compatibility, if Dolby is not tracking properly it will sound terrible from equipment to equipment.

Jorge likes this.
  6. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

well explained.
    a good set up is what makes you enjoy the music. Forget the rest.

Jorge likes this.
  7. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

what is the rest of your HiFi setup? there should be a TT somewhere to play that vinyl from the bottom shelf?

8. Shaun Hinds

Shaun Hinds Member

To the left is a customized 70s stereo cabinet I spent years replacing speakers and tore out the insides of the unit. On top is an Audio Technica LP120. The amp I’m using is busted and cheap (I got it before I truly understood what I needed). I’ll take a pic of it soon. I’m good on the vinyl end for now.

9. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Great set up Shaun Hinds, that case with the giant Sony Logo on the bottom is really cool, I've never seen one before. I really like the 80's era Sony Push Button Equipment, it's hard to find around here but they had some beautiful designs. I have no idea what the sonics are but they still look like there was some quality put into them.

Keep an eye out for garage sales, you can usually get 70s speakers for next to nothing and you'll immediately notice the difference. Last year I scored on some ADS's and they sound great even on equipment I'm dusting off and firing up.