Photos of my Sony wm-3, and my restoration story.

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Cameron, May 13, 2019.

1. Cameron

Cameron Member

It occurred to me that I never shared photos of my new Sony. This model has been a personal favorite of mine. I originally used to go ga ga over the TPS-L2, but as I looked at the wm-3 more over time I grew to prefer the black over the blue color, and hearing about the minor design changes made me want to get it more. A little under a month ago I finally had money saved up for one and found a decent listing on eBay. A few weeks ago it arrived (it was a long distance purchase. It was a little beat up, but cosmetically it looked very good. Over the past to weeks I've done these repairs to help better its condition.
    • I had to swap belts (like any other walkman). already had a pair saved at the time
    • I bought an eye glass repair kit to replace the missing screw's.
    • Had to resoder the microphone completely
    • Had to resoder the play head (not an easy for my poor skills, but came out really well)
    • replaced a cord
    • Replaced the soder in the audio output connection
    All and all I'm pretty proud of how it looks now, and I only have to order the carrying case. When I'm not listening to cassettes on it, it's sitting on my Yamaha HiFi set up, it pairs with it very well.

Attached Files:

Mister X likes this.
  2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Its a handsome machine, well repaired

3. Cameron

Cameron Member

Thank you.

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

That's a nice looking unit, I don't think I have one around, thanks for sharing the photos.

5. Cameron

Cameron Member

Thanks. It wasn't easy, but overall I'm pretty satisfied. I plan on sharing more when I get some cash set aside to buy the carrying case.

Redfish likes this.