Nostalgiacon

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by hugo, Oct 1, 2019.

1. hugo

hugo Member

Did you guys hear about nostalgiacon ?
    It happened this passed weekend.

2. hugo

hugo Member

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

No. Do you have any more details?
    Did they have other things like computers. There is a huge interest in Retro Computing from the 1980s, e.g the Commodore 64 and it's demo scene.

Years ago I went to a "Vintage Communications Fair". An Entire hall of the UKs National Exhibition Centre full of lovingly polished Bakelite telephones and Radios. I have often commented how, as time marches on, the items that were in the shops in the 1980s like Boomboxes will/have become collectors items. Many are now 40 years old, as old as the Bakelite antiques that were so popular back then.

Since you are a new member in the USA you might not have come across one of my favourite web sites http://retromash.com/ Not a huge amount on audio (although there are loads in the Argos catalogues) but very 80s orrientated.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

5. Longman

I had a look at their website http://nostalgiacon80s.com

It appears to be complete mix up of all things 80s, with lots of 80s Celebreties appearing like Catherine Bach AKA Daisy Duke :inlove:

The Band line up seemed a bit strange. ABC are a famous UK group, who I have seen several times including when they were the support band for Robbie Williams
    (the girlfriends favourite). In contrast I have no idea of who ``WHEN IN ROME UK” are / were.

On the Concert Front they have just announced the Line Up for https://letsrocksouthampton.com/lineup/

I have never seen OMD and was impressed by Kim Wilde a couple of years ago so will put it on next years calendar.-

6. hugo

hugo Member

We participated as a boombox museum display, it was 11 of us collectors, from Los Angeles area and up north Cali.
    It was the first time I was in an event like this, it was a very nice experience since most people there lived the 80’s we were located in a way that as people were coming in it was our display that they see first, I had a lot of fun seeing guys and girls admiring the boxes and asking each other , Remember these? Some will stop and ask questions and would tell us their experience and what they remember of that era, some would even try to find the one radio they use to have back then, the pictures above are TURBO from the movie BREAKING , the second picture is the group SUGAR HILL GANG .
    I’ll try to upload more pics later.

Mister X likes this.
  7. hugo

hugo Member

8. Longman

I like the photo at the top of your last post. Despite seeing hundreds of photos and owning a Sharp GF555, I have yet to actually see a GF777.
    Boxes that big were rare in the UK.

Recently there was a TV series "Back in Time for the Weekend"on TV in which a family spent a week living each decade from the 1950s on doing leisure activities. One of the 1980s highlights was the kids getting a boombox (a decent Sharp) and being taught some breakdancing moves by a black guy who was doing them back in the day.

The photo of the cars is nice as well. I'm not sure if I have seen a DeLorean either. Locally someone has a "General Lee" which they use for weddings. Amusing to see a grinning bride and bridesmaids sitting in the back, although I guess they don't have to get in through the windows.

9. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

It was a good time!

NostalgiaCon 80s Tron girl.jpg

10. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Turbo, Sugarhill Gang and Dokken, how could you go wrong? Anybody remember Kittmaster from the forum? I think he had a full working replica of Kitt.

11. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

12. THAFUZZ

THAFUZZ New Member

I can't wait for the next NostalgiaCon

13. MUTE AUTO

MUTE AUTO Member

Sometimes I am very envious of your circle. I rarely play these near me. Sometimes I am surprised that other people play this game. Why do I still play these old people's favorite things. Obviously I'm only 40 years old.:cry:cry:cry

14. Longman

When I was a youngster I was collecting Valve (tube) radios. Despite the odd anomaly, like the TPS-L2 today and Catalin radios back then, most old electronics is a fraction of what it originally cost when new. Look at the original cost of something like Jorge's RQ-568 http://www.stereo2go.com/forums/threads/national-panasonic-rq-568-hifimac.5120/#post-38262
    then feed it through an inflation calculator. In fact I have just done that for everyone and get $860 guessing it was it was from 1978.
    Back when it was new buying a box like that was a major investment that you would have probably saved up for and thought about for a long time.

Mister X likes this.