Beer and Boomboxes!

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Dec 23, 2017.

1. THAFUZZ

THAFUZZ New Member

An older pic I had at the ready. 20190730_121408.jpg

nickeccles, Radio Raheem, A O and 3 others like this.
  2. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

3E76B50B-4940-434F-8B56-6260AD4C7DB4.jpeg ...hope this counts: x-mas present from my dad, a 1970 shortwave receiver, one of the first ever made synthesizer-tuner with nixie-display...

nickeccles, Mister X, Papa and 2 others like this.
  3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Do you mean this Christmas or a Christmas many years ago ?
    Either way that looks like a serious and expensive piece of kit back when it was made.
    I once knew a Radio Amateur who had one of these http://portabletubes.co.uk/boats/b40.htm
    He said that when he first saw it advertised (in professional magazine Wireless World) years before acquiring his it was the same price as a new Austin Mini
    car

Mister X and Jorge like this.
  4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

before reading your quote and then @Longman explanation I thought that you are listening to a desktop power supply/frequency generator, and was trying to read the label on your "magic beer"
    :delighted:

Mister X and autoreverser like this.
  5. autoreverser

Jorge and Mister X like this.
  6. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Close to 50 lbs, yep that's a tank, too bad it doesn't have AM/FM, it would be the ultimate severe duty reciever.

Jorge likes this.
  7. autoreverser

with starting at 1.4 MHz (official 1.5) at least you get the rest of european AM range and scavenging SW-band ar night is quite fun, at least more exciting than watching rubbishy broadcast-tv - and after all i have more than this single bottle of booze...:bigthumbsup:

Mister X and Jorge like this.
  8. Mister X

I can't let you boys drink alone! Time for some holiday cheer and some worldwide radio listening with my awesome mini JVC RC-S22JW. This may be the smallest multi-band boomer and it's one of my favorites just on looks alone. The thought of how far short wave travelled from autoreverser's Telefunken to this is amazing.

Some cool features are a SIX postion (band) linear switch, have you ever seen one of those before? There's three beat cuts, usually there's two. If I'm correct the beat cut silences noise in the radio signal that interferes with recording, the extra position might be for the other bands? Just a cool little radio with a lot of thought put into it that I've paired with Inbound Contains Nuts, a peanut butter milk stout. Yes it may sound horrible but these flavored beers are pretty good nowadays with just a hint of flavoring and not sweet at all, a great way to sooth the nerves when working on delicate equipment.

DSCN2955.JPG

9. Mister X

Nothing makes Ultraman more happy than an ice cold beer and twins! A recent delivery from around the world included these two mono-mini-phenoms, the National RX-1810 and the National RX-1820. Outside of the cosmetic differences, I'm not really sure what's different about them. While JDM, all of the writing is in Japanese, they still have the full FM band which makes Ultraman rock out with his Dogfish Head Sea Quench Ale, a nice light beer with lots of lime added, this is a special occasion since neither is on the Wikiboombox.

These little guys are really nicely built and pretty heavy, almost like they were full of batteries, I'm kind of leaning towards the black RX-1810 as being a little better looking. They both need a nice warm bath before I really play with them but everything oozes quality, the sliding volume/tone both move with tensioned precision, the side mounted tuning knob has a just enough torque to it to feel substantial. The volume is wonderful, loud but not a lot of bass, very clear with no distortion. The vent holes in the back reveal that they packed every inch with electronics.

I'm not an expert on the JDM Models but these both say FM Wireless going to just before 80 MHz on the tuning dial, does anybody know if these can broadcast? There's a lot of JDM Players that can but other countries had restrictions on broadcasting on the FM bands so it's very rare outside of Japan.

DSCN2114sm.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    ianthepostie and Jorge like this.
  10. Mister X

Hunkering down in the bunker, just cleaning up and wrapping up some equipment. This old Panasonic has been with me since the early 2000's and it's never been a real looker for me but it's still a little better than a lot of them from this time. I just wanted to see if it still worked before wrapping it up and holy-cow, this thing rocks! What you can't see is the antenna is just a stub but the tuning section on this is unbelievable, it's pulling in everything out here. Of course when it's the end of the world, there's nothing like a Belgium Beer, my New Belgium is making sure I take really good care of my boomboxes tonight.

DSC_0589sm.jpg

11. Mister X

Yes! Snake Pilssen American Pilsner from local powerhouse Stacked Deck Brewing Company. They just opened up about a year ago on downtown Saint Paul near the Wild's NHL Hockey Stadium and the owner's love hockey. As a young kid one of my favorite movies was Escape From New York and I loved John Carpenter's Soundtrack to this movie and his other movies, Halloween, They Live, The Thing, etc. Carpenter is so cool he's toured with a band playing his movies soundtracks. Now I have an official beer to slurp on while I look for the president.

So why not pair it with the ultra-rare Superscope bad-ass CRS-4000. I know, you've had enough of Marantz but this one is different, this is the "black" model meaning the buttons are black and the power is red, the other CRS's have tan buttons. This also has "by marantz" under the SUPERSCOPE, this normally just says SUPERSCOPE.

Mister X doesn't make movie recommendations very often but if you watch one of the movies I've listed above and don't like it I will buy you a beer for taking your time.

DSC_0649sm.jpg

12. autoreverser

yay, howz that SNAKE PILSSEN ? we had here in europe a while ago AC/DC beer (...must admint i never tried it, i'm to old-school with my bavarian beers...):drinks

Mister X likes this.
  13. Mister X

Not too bad, it clocks in at 5.1% and has a sweet, kinda wheaty aftertaste. I might have to fire up the movie tonight

14. autoreverser

gosh, just talked to my son that we need to get that movie, can‘t find it as stream :noway:

enjoy !!!

15. Mister X

You can probably get the DVD cheap on Amazon or Ebay....

16. Mister X

Me and George have been drinking alone, I would have thought with all of the SIP there'd be a few more hits. I'm actually still working and tonight the big truck needs some love, that little 13mm nut on top of the thermostat will not come out (right under the distributor). These old Fords have an ingenius design where a lot of the front bolts go through the cooling jackets and tend to corrode making them very difficult to get out. I do the Makita, PB Blaster, beer trick, over several days of squirting the PB Blaster on the bolt, I work it with my cordless Makita Hammer Driver. It's torque is pretty low for automotive applications so I don't have to worry about ripping the head off like a breaker bar would do. This took about three days but I finally got it off tonight!

DSC_0658sm.jpg

autoreverser, Jorge, Papa and 2 others like this.
  17. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

IMG_2111.jpg

yet another Birthday for my lovely-self, this year celebrated at my Lab: my house, burned by Woolsey Fire is still, well, burned and my workplace is where I hide from The Boss, who is constantly angry with me... Why Is THAT, I cannot phantom, have to get her a t-shirt advertised at SouthPark: I Am With Stupid - :)

Panas RX-5500 is blasting The Flaming Lips: "From the International Space Station"; National RQ-568 is a backup for when RX-5500 gets funny on me... THe most important help re. Sound Quality that I am spoiled to is coming from Guinness :)... Happy Birthday to Me!!!;)

BUT: help is coming: The Angel residing among us, @nickeccles or St.Nick is sending Philips-The-Elephant my way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Elephant should straighten my deluded ways of reviving Discmans onto a righteous path of ANALOG ;)

While reminiscing on my recent tribulations, let me say HUGE Thank You to my friend and neighbor @Boodokhan who provided shelter for when I was homeless and SAVED my marriage and 'loaned' Technics SL-1200 for my indefinite use: however glorious 24-96 or dsd digital may sound, Analog is the ONLY thing that keeps me sane!!!

Stay Safe, my friends!!!: mask and gloves, mask and gloves...

Boodokhan, nickeccles, Papa and 4 others like this.
  18. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Happy Birthday Jorge.

Despite the Company I work for employing a Head of Diversity in my experience the majority of women areńt interested in Electronics / HiFi / Computers etc.

Although she liked music (unlike my Father) my Mother thought a Dansette record player was completely adequate and couldńt understand why friends cluttered up their lounges with Stereos (i.e Music Centres with separate speakers). It wasńt even as if she was a tidy person, and she certainly wasńt averse to buying LPs, or far more so books.

19. autoreverser

and a happy birthday from overseas, too :cheers:

20. Mister X

Happy birthday! I celebrated with a big bonfire, some beer and a little repair work.

Jorge likes this.