Circuits

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Tim Lazenby, Dec 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Tim Lazenby

Tim Lazenby New Member

Hi

This I'm sure has been answered before if it has I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

What does the object in the diagram signify?

Thanks in advance

Tim

Attached Files:

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

It is a variable resistor alternatively called a potentiometer. They are often used as volume controls but have other uses. It has been wired like that so you don't get a complete open circuit if the contact lifts off the track as it is adjusted.

3. Tim Lazenby

Tim Lazenby New Member

Ah OK. Thanks. It was in a diagram for a low pass sub filter. If I post the full image I don't suppose you mind labelling it would you?

4. Longman

I could give it a go.

5. Tim Lazenby

Tim Lazenby New Member

Thanks for your help. I'm primarily concerne with the sub circuit as I'm getting no sound from it at all. Have tried a variety of speakers but they just sit there and hum.

I've marked the sub outlet and question marked the thing that's attached to that circuit I assume it's a transistor.

Also the large 4700uF cap is loose but still connected..... I think!

Last photo shows the state of the packaging when it arribed. I don't know if this has any bearing on procedings.

Regards

Tim

Attached Files:

6. Longman

I thought you were going to post a circuit diagram. If you can identify the part number of the three 5 legged ICs attached to the heatsink (or post a close up photo) showing any manufacturers markings I could probably find a manufacturers data sheet which usually gives example circuits.

7. Tim Lazenby

Tim Lazenby New Member

No didnt get a diagram. What im trying to figure out at this juncture is what does what.

As i said ive got nothing coming out of the sub line. So just trying to figure out what does what.

Lets look at this another way. Can i measure anything at the sub line +/- or is the only way to have a suitable speaker hooked up.

8. Longman

You probably need a speaker to provide a load.

As I said the manufacturer of the amplifier ICs would provide an example circuit.