Where can I find a pair of Sony MDR-1 headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones Area' started by Cameron, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Cameron

Cameron Member

I own a Wm-4 and I got 2 original Sony headphones that are in the process of being repaired, execpt not the original MDR-1 headphones that would have came with the walkman. Any help would be appreciated, I have checked eBay and only found 1 pair, and another being sold with a WM-F1 but I'm not really looking spend for another Walkman if I can avoid it. The Image included is the pair in specific I'm after.

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

3. sanchos

sanchos Member

Is this the headphones
    Screenshot_20181001-203914_OLXbg.jpg
    40 euro shiping not included

4. Cameron

Cameron Member

Yes those are the the ones, where did you happen to find those.

5. sanchos

sanchos Member

I can get it for you and ship to you, if interested.

6. Cameron

Cameron Member

I'll think on if for a bit.

7. Globuss

Globuss New Member

Is that good one for nubia-v18?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2018
  8. Derek marshall

Derek marshall Well-Known Member

Hi Cameron. Did you manage to get your MDR-1 phones? I have the WM-4( made in Japan) . I have the MDR-1 phones that came with mine and the photo showing the MDR-1 looks different to mine. On mine the main body is black with Sony written on the top. Then R/L, and MDR1 written underneath. They may have changed the design I dont know.

9. Cameron

Cameron Member

I did actually, although I need to make repairs to it (lower half of the cord is gone). I have the version that has the Gray caps instead of the all black verriant. I believe the all black verriant is an earlier version, because the few times I've seen them go on for sale, I've mostly seen Gray caps. If you want photos of my version, I do have them.

10. Derek marshall

Hi Cameron. I think you're right. Also the foam that came with mine were black not orange. Of course the foam dissintrgrated some time ago. I never listened to the MDR-1's because I always use other phones. I bought my WM-4 back in late 1982 and it is still one of my favourites. What are your thoughts on this model?

11. Cameron

Cameron Member

I actually am very fond of the wm-4, and I actually made a habit of recommending to friends of mine who have gotten interested in buying their first walkman. In my opinion it's a nice machine, it's got good audio for a budget model. My wm-4 sadly needs repaired because I had to use some of the wires for my new daily use walkman (wm-3 aka the black cousin of the Tps-l2). As for mdr 1L1, Its probably one of bwst pairs of headphones I've had, second only to the trh-1 headphones I'm wearing rn

12. Derek marshall

I also have a problem with mine. The fast forward/rewind doesn't work any more. I think I remember reading on the forum that a tiny plastic part fails on this unit as well as the WM-F1. Not sure about the WM-3 so just be careful. As I ever use fast forward/rewind on my u its it doesn't bother me. I agree with you it's a nice unit. Feed it a good metal tape through good headphones sound great to me. The only thing its had is new belts which my brother-in-law fitted for me. How does the WM-3 compare sound wise?

13. Cameron

Cameron Member

Wm-3 is a more higher quality walkman, with better construction and a metal case. Sound Wise it's a bit better then the wm-4 (though there are many better ones out there). I use it as my "daily" use walkman. The only mildly annoying thing about the wm-3 and the Tps-l2 have is that there are 2 separate volume sliders, but that was common of early stereo systems. Plus sometimes the microphone button for allowing People to talk over the music can be a bit finicky. I recommend it if you have the money to sink into it. I got lucky with mine, because I was missing some screws that needed replaced, so I bought mine for a low price (by this walkman's standards). Since then, I've replaced most of the miasimi screws (mainly from a combination of a seller who had replacement screws and eye glass repair kits).

14. Derek marshall

The WM-4was the very first Walkman I bought so that's why I like it so much. Iv'e seen the walkmans come up on you know where but I'm not paying those sort of prices. I have two units with the dd disease that I so want repaired but as I told Sergio( Manrtic Blood ) am unable to send at the moment. Is your WM-4 made in Japan or the Philipines? I look all the time in charity shops etc over here but just cannot find any of these early units. Can you find them over there? I rather like the WM-7 as well but so expensive.

15. Cameron

Cameron Member

My wm-4 is actually a Korean production model. My first Walkman was actually the F1 but it has long since broke beyond repair, (I use it as a donor)

16. Derek marshall

Yes someone on the forum thinks the initial production was in Japan and then as the market increased production was transferred to the Philipines. Shame your F1 will not see any more use. Nice to talk with you.

17. Cameron

Cameron Member

Initial production was Japan, and final product/most common production was Korean, with Philippines being somewhere in between I think. It was nice talking to you too. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

18. Derek marshall

You too, Cameron. Greetings from UK.

19. Cameron

Cameron Member

Greetings from America :)