Screw Driver Sets?

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by slinger333, Feb 20, 2020.

1. slinger333

slinger333 New Member

wondering if anyone had any recommendations for any screw Driver sets they prefer and or any other basic tools used for taking care of their walkman? novice looking to make the jump to intermediate here lol. thanks!

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

If you are just starting out a mobile phone repair kit is cheap and will have most of the tools you need to start off with.
    The main difference with expensive tools is that they last longer. Important if you were repairing Walkmans as a job,
    but less so if you just have one or two to fix.

slinger333 likes this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Do some research on JIS Screwdrivers, stripping little tiny screws is one of the most frustrating things that can happen. If money is tight, Harbor Freight has a great all-around set for a few dollars. Do not force the screws if they don't want to come out, get the JIS set.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/33-pi...MI6MmS9bXh5wIVhIbACh3BGQWwEAQYAyABEgJ0S_D_BwE

screw 1.jpg
    Then I'd move up to Wiha, the sets tend to go on sale, especially before Christmas, this larger set can be bought for $75 USD.
    https://www.wihatools.com/master-te...e-mini-ratchet-microbits-in-metal-storage-box
    7596502_1_.jpg
    And a JIS set
    https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Sc...B5FBD3MTWQ4&psc=1&refRID=NBDQ579TNB5FBD3MTWQ4

617VBZavl5L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

slinger333 likes this.
  4. slinger333

slinger333 New Member

5. slinger333

slinger333 New Member

forgot to hit reply on first reply ... well I had some second thoughts and put in a cancelation request. if it's accepted, i may try and get this set instead...(got it canceled)
    https://www.amazon.com/iFixit-Pro-T...+tool+kit&qid=1582263693&sprefix=ifixi&sr=8-3

although that one seems to have some bad reviews as well.

6. Mister X

They will all work ok and most of the time you'll get that "snap" sound from a virgin screw. I'm a tool snob, mostly from the experience of not having enough money to have nice tools and really struggling to get projects done when I was younger. I still buy Harbor Freight, Amazon and Sear's Craftsman if I need something unusual or for a single job but I try to upgrade when I can. I still haven't gotten a JIS set, it's on the list and I didn't see any in Japan. Even in the really cool tool section of Akihabara I couldn't find made in Japan JIS.

I use the top two sets all of the time but I have stripped some and it will drive you nuts, I'll be grabbing some of the Amazon JIS soon, hopefully it will help and they're pretty inexpensive. I'd stick with Japanese or German made micro-screwdrivers, there may be others but the quality is usually much better from Germany or Japan. Taiwan-made can be really nice and sometimes it's the only option.

slinger333 likes this.
  7. slinger333

slinger333 New Member

thank you for your detailed reply. gonna do some more research... not in a hurry... lol cassettes I've ordered have slowed up... but I've still not received one of the two walkmans I've ordered. just placed an order for 2 new belts just so I've got them on hand if I need them.

8. slinger333

slinger333 New Member

I'm an absolute beginner regarding fixing a walkman. do you know if the wm-10 up to the WM-30 have internal jis screws? I would guess yes.

9. Mister X

Honestly, I don't know which ones are JIS or Phillips, JIS can have a dimple on the head but sometimes they don't; I can tell by feel that the Phillips Driver doesn't seem to bottom out in the head every once in a while.

I've got a ton of units and most need belts so I have more opportunity to strip screws, most likely you'll be ok. Most of the older units are easy to take apart and replace the belts and it's very rewarding, the newer compact units can be more frustrating with lots of screws and circuit boards that have to be moved to get to the belt. You'll get a bunch of the screws out and then there will be one that just doesn't want to move, I'm hoping the JIS Driver will help since they are supposed to deliver more torque before slipping.

My advice is to document the tear-down, you will forget where the screws go, take photos and get a silicone mat with compartments, also get a big magnet for sweeping the floor when you drop a screw. Most of it is pretty easy work but it may seem intimidating to a beginner, just go slow and watch out for springs fly off.

silicone.jpg

slinger333 likes this.
  10. slinger333

slinger333 New Member

I don't know how to use one yet, still need to watch some YouTube videos etc, but do you happen to recommend any soldering irons? and thank you for the reply. i put pretty much the same silicone mat on my wantlist. take care ~

11. Mister X

slinger333 likes this.
  12. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I have too many sets, but the only one I actually use is Wiha on the right:
    screwdrivers.jpg

the only one I miss from my lost collection is from Wera

Mister X and Boodokhan like this.
  13. Mister X

Beautiful, one of the reviews say the Wera Set you linked is JIS Compliant