Sony Power Supply Enquiry

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by slinger333, Mar 2, 2020.

1. slinger333

slinger333 New Member

Hello All,
    I just recently acquired a Sony Discman D-99 & aSony Walkman WM-10 II. These two units did not come with a dc power cord I can use . I'm not up to speed on the proper one I should look into ordering. I know I've read in forums in the past about some people using the wrong one and damaging their players. Hopefully some of you could provide me some info and possibly links that I could order one from .
    Thank you very much.

p. s. the sony d-99 came with what i would guess is a foreign dc supply. the prongs are huge and will not work in my outlets. I live in the United States. This power supply is brand new and if someone was possibly interested in acquiring it feel free to message me.

2. slinger333

slinger333 New Member

I've also just noticed that the wm-10 II doesn't seem to fit a double aa battery in the battery slot? looking at the manual it says it takes a Sony Sum-3 or an AM3 alkaline battery? so... i can't use double aa batteries with it?

3. slinger333

slinger333 New Member

ignore this comment. i was originally trying an energizer max aa that seemed to not fit. went downstairs and grabbed a duracel and it slid right in!

4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

For D-99 search eBay for Sony AC-940 power supplies, those are original Sonys supplied with D-99. AC-930 also a perfect fit. Avoid (at all cost) sellers offering aftermarket "AC Adapter for Sony AC-930": some of them are Center-Positive and will burn protective diode inside D-99 (unlike WM-D6 which has no such protection, it will be just the diode; but still a hassle to exchange). I bought a few of these aftermarket wall-warts:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-9V-2A-A...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/9V-1A-AC-A...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    They work fine, but always check that they are actually Center-Negative

Boodokhan and slinger333 like this.
  5. slinger333

slinger333 New Member

thank you very much jorge. you've answered my question to a T. have a great day.