Bring Me The Mini's...The Quintessential Collection!

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Mister X, Apr 5, 2020.

1. ianthepostie

ianthepostie Active Member

I have one of those! Is there anything worth listening to on the SW band? IMG_0995.JPG

Mystic Traveller and Mister X like this.
  2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Far less than there used to be. Back in the mid 1980s I used to listen to pop pirate stations around 6MHz every Sunday morning, including Radio Caroline. A friend was a real fanatic and even sent in a request to say hello to me which was read out over the air. Far more professionally most countries had shortwave stations that broadcast at high powers such as Voice of America, Radio Moscow, Radio Tiranna. Nowadays the only ones you are likely to pick up are Radio China International and Evangelicals.

Of course this was all back in the days when you were lucky to have three stations on MW and FM playing rock and pop music, while a 2.4 kbit/s dial up connection to a bulletin board was state of the art computing. Away from Shortwave, Radio Luxembourg was still very popular in the evenings on MW, as Radio 1 would typically be playing some experimental Prog Rock concert, while Radio 2 would have programmes which wouldńt have sounded out of place in the 1930s.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Mystic Traveller and Mister X like this.
  3. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

With built-in antennae? Nope. Being in the big city area with all those tall buildings, various radio emitting sources
    almost nothing -too much of interference, "radio waves pollution".
    There are still fans of SWs (including transmission) - they prefer rural areas, specially tuned
    external aerials, all that stuff.

I used to try searching and listening to some SW stations while being in my summer house 40 miles from the city in the warm summer nights. :) That was better.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Mister X likes this.
  4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I run into the "old-timers" over here once in a while, you can't miss the huge antennas on their roofs. They tend to be pretty protective of their equipment but love talking about the hobby.

nickeccles and Mystic Traveller like this.
  5. Mister X

6. Mystic Traveller

Yeh, their have their own SW world. :)

7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I would guess you are talking about Radio Hams, who have their own segments in the Shortwave bands. I doubt if there is any Boombox which could receive their transmissions as they use CW (morse) or SSB single sideband. A £100 shortwave portable will receive them though. When the entire Internet fails they will the ones who can still communicate. Raynet (UK) and ARRL (USA) practice for that scenario.

Back to something that was received on a domestic shortwave radio. When President Gorbachev of the USSR was under house arrest during the 1991 coup he listened to Shortwave broadcasts from abroad to find out what was happening, and find out that Boris Yeltsin was organising resistance.

8. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Since it looks like we're not only talking about mini stereo units (of which I don't any particularly interesting ones), I'll throw this in to the mix. The National RX-90 Corocasse
    1995.jpg 1991.jpg
    I don't know, but I think I haven't seen this one posted here before?

I have one of those Sony WA-8800 too, and I can't fathom why the previous owner would cut out a hole like this in the back?!
    1993.jpg

9. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

Here are a few more of mine, these are some of my nicer ones, problem is I do have about 120 maybe more!

A Sanyo M-S350LE
    1.jpg
    A very nice Sony ZX-7
    2.jpg
    A beautiful Sanyo MR-V8
    3.jpg
    A cool six speaker Hitachi TRK-6701W
    4.jpg
    A very nice Sharp QT-7R
    5.jpg
    A gorgeous Aiwa CS-R10
    6.jpg
    A Pioneer SK-200
    7.jpg

10. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Wow, beautiful

11. rupi99

rupi99 Active Member

Sony WA-8000
    Sony WA-8000 c.jpg

AIWA HS-J110
    AIWA HS-J110 a.jpg

Toshiba RT-CS1-2
    Toshiba RT-CS1-2 a.jpg

Panasonic RX-TS10
    Panasonic RX-TS10 b.jpg

12. Mister X

Wow, mrp32Dave and rupi99, you guys have some cool equipment! I have the Pioneer SK-200, it only has AM/FM and is bronze with silver trim, I've never seen the black/red version before, very nice. The Sanyo M-S350LE is a personal favorite, mine's in black/creme, while it doesn't come up for sale often, it is a box that seems to have a million color combinations. That Panasonic is a new one Rupi99, I've never seen it before, where did they come up with the colors? Awesome!

13. Mystic Traveller

Wow, awesome Aiwa, never seen before - thanks, mate! :thumbsup:

14. Mister X

Sharp QT15, I like this one, it looks good but it's a shade better than entry-level. It may be unique with it's "2 Way Fashion" I think that means you can strap (which I don't have) it horizontal or vertical.

DSC_0635v1.jpg

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  15. Mister X

I stumbled on both of my Pioneer SK-Q10's, one of the most beautiful mini's ever, hand's down. The boxes are sided with mirror-finish chrome, the paint must have been inspired by modded show cars, it has that deep shimmer and pearlescant effect similar to expensive paint jobs. Oval speakers can be rare, on these these look perfect, almost 60's techno, and the speaker grills fit right in, and come in different colors depending on the box's colors, which were many. The blackened area above the tape deck is the radio dial, these units are hard to photograph due to the reflection and the dial is smoked black.

DSC_0637v2.jpg
    Runaway Mini.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  16. Mister X

The Sony M-80 Microcassette Player with AM/FM radio and speaker. This is the gray area, it's kind of a big clunky Walkman but it's almost more of a mini boombox, yes it's missing a handle and it's only one speaker but it does record in stereo. This is part of the Sony Roundabout Series, big brick-sized players with speakers and antennas, made when all of the other Sony's were super small.

DSC_0640sm.jpg

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  17. Mister X

The JVC RC-S22 actually has a big brother with two speakers and 10 bands, the JVC RC-77. The LEDs indicating the radio band is a nice touch across the front and overall it's a very serious looking radio with a great tuning section, it pulls in everything.

DSC_0645v1.jpg

18. Mystic Traveller

Nice machine - indeed radio seems to prevail here.

Mister X likes this.
  19. Juan Asano

Juan Asano New Member

Some awesome pics of great minis guys! Here are the ones I have so far with several on the way:

Sanyo M 7735
    [​IMG]
    Sanyo M7740
    [​IMG]
    Panasonic RX-F2
    [​IMG]
    Panasonic RX-F5
    [​IMG]
    Sony CFS-230
    [​IMG]
    Aiwa CS-P5W
    [​IMG]

CDV and Mister X like this.
  20. Mister X

I'm digging those JVC Midi's as well Juan Asano!