2channelhero to the rescue! Aiwa TPR-945H restored (mostly)

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by 2channelhero, Jun 11, 2019.

1. 2channelhero

2channelhero Active Member

I Just got in, this sad, neglected Aiwa TPR-945H for $40. I knew it had potential ‘cause it was all there! All knobs, buttons, slider and switch caps, and both antennas intact, but so much corrosion on all the chrome plating. As for functionality, the volume sliders, switches and recording switch, needed serious Deoxit. They’re all working now! The tape player still worked great, but needed a speed increase, so with my test tone tape and a 440 hz tone on YouTube, I matched the tones perfectly. I was so involved in cleaning and restoring this thing that I forgot to take step by step pictures, but the before and after pics should speak for themselves!

Before:
    64B52C1B-A05F-4C46-8F2D-8014D052E9D0.jpeg
    E9F6CA53-A175-4459-9505-CCC406778A91.jpeg

After:
    F30A9F98-740D-4F1A-9844-7D84209D5D2A.jpeg
    340CF507-7729-4AC9-A3B1-5E7B1429433C.jpeg

Mystic Traveller and Mister X like this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Great job, I love seeing that, a lot of my boxes start out crusty, I'm not good around new or nearly new items. You might want to try an automotive black restorer for the parts that are fading. I've used a bunch and they look great for a few weeks on a car but they need to be refreshed when sitting out in the hot sun.

81g8lzFelgL._SY879_.jpg

3. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

03 August 2013 Aiwa STC 945 Boombox Model TPR-945H 370863631863
    I bought one to compare against my Aiwa tpr 950 and well that has not happened yet
    Excerpt directly from the listing I bought from:
    Rare Vintage Aiwa STC 945 4 Band Stereo Radio Cassette Recorder
    Model TPR-945H
    This unit work very good. Fully function.
    Seldom use so work like new.
    Only one thing, broken the white button antenna as you seen on the picture #2

It is still buried in the 'radio room' as I have no room or self space to put it on so it remains secure on the shelf in the packed to me box - Yes yet another boomer I have yet to open.
    I am here to ask if you could share a picture of the controls on the top of the box with the handel folded down? Thanks in adavnce for when ever you see this request.

Mister X likes this.
  4. Mister X

Nice to see you popping in every once in a while Cassette2go. Those AIWAs look pretty robust, I've been tempted to get one but I'd probably throw it on a shelf. I will say that I have been cleaning the shelves and cueing projects with some of the extra time I've had.

5. Cassette2go

I have finally gotten to the point where I can almost see and count how many UN-opened various boxes I have bought from epay over the years and that number is close to 19. One of those I may never open or it may be the last one as it is the Toshiba with remote-control as I set the world on fire when I paid way too much for that, so it will stay safe in its overly well packed box.

Mister X likes this.
  6. Mister X

We've all overpaid on something but there's also the unit that's for sale at a great price for weeks and we ignore it, then it sells and another one never comes up for sale again. I don't try to get boxed units, I'm too much of a perfectionist, I either scratch, drop, or do something stupid. If I get a crunchy box with war wounds I don't have to worry about it as much.

Mystic Traveller and Cassette2go like this.
  7. Cassette2go

Speaking of overpaying I won this and I shot a video ( like I have been doing now for a few years but never publishing - but this one I will - publish after I get it ) I am curious with myself now? Was this 'worthy' of winning?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bo...LSAXtq%2Fk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bo...LSAXtq%2Fk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Mister X likes this.
  8. Mister X

I've never seen one before and it's worthy of the minibox thread! I tend to have fun finding bargains but I've also stepped up for some personal grails. You have some of the coolest boxes made, and multiples of them that all of us would would love to have in our collections. Guys in your situation are few and far between, you get lucky (with hard work and knowledge) scoring short production models and have the cream of the crop. Unfortunately the younger collectors missed out on the gravy days when people were throwing this equipment out and laughing at anybody mentioning cassettes.

If you were checking out the beer & boomboxes thread and bidding, we've all done that as well, just be careful. Personally some really nice big ones have sold for low dough lately, I'd be scoring those but I'm actually starting to run out of room.

9. Juan Asano

Juan Asano New Member

Wow. You’re the one who beat me - by a couple of bucks if I remember correctly. It would have been nice to have but I probably would have regretted paying $200 for that.

Mister X and Cassette2go like this.
  10. Cassette2go

Of the significant things that I have to bid on, I shoot a video of my bidding process. I do not regret bidding to win as I can always make more money. I have always wanted to know who comes sailing in with the top bid and beat me out of some other things that I have bidded on in the past and Now I know it was you LOL. This is supposed to arrive 11 May 2020. I will make a unboxing video. Subscribe to me in youtube here. https://www.youtube.com/user/Cassette2Go/videos my stats are here https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/cassette2go

Mister X likes this.
  11. Cassette2go

under your 200 bid - here I just saw this you may like
    80s Retro Boombox RT-8000SR TOSHIBA Radio cassette
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/80s-Retro-...515332?hash=item3419a49304:g:E~oAAOSwPa9d3aoa
    And free shipping for only $
    Price: US $193.88

12. NoMoreMoore

NoMoreMoore New Member

Hi Cassette2Go, here's a pic of the top of the 945H in case you need it. I'm a new member -- happened upon a vintage gear shop (while trying to show my 16 y/o how we played music back then) and one spin of an old school tuner dial caught my imagination. I now have some a Pioneer receiver/tt and a Panasonic boombox. Yesterday stumbled upon the Aiwa 945H and trying to get info led me to this thread. Anyway, here you go! LMK if you need others.

upload_2020-10-29_15-52-36.png

Mister X and Cassette2go like this.
  13. Mister X

That thing looks great NoMoreMoore, I don't think there are alot of those early AIWAs around, at least none around me. The vintage bug is strong, these old units were built to last and music is still around. With the line in you can get a 1/8" male headphone jack to two RCA outputs that hook on the boomer, sometimes it's nice to to hear internet radio or MP3s without doing a lot of work or you can run the line-out to your receiver into the TAPE input.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  14. NoMoreMoore

NoMoreMoore New Member

Thanks! It's really hard to find any info. At this point, I don't need much but I like the "story" as much as the gear itself. If you run across anything, please hit me up! Take care.

Cassette2go likes this.
  15. Cassette2go

I have about 19 boomboxs that I bought years ago that I still not have had time to un - box and this tpr-945 is one of them- soon I hope to get to it but just today I picked up the canter passive radiator for the General MG 345 and I hope to finish it and then fininsh the other 8 boombox including the too numerous to mentintion I'm tired... nite

Mister X likes this.
  16. Cassette2go

Hi I answered your ? to me elsewhere in here - when I hae the time - I will get to the Aiwa 945 thanks for the picture

17. Cassette2go

AIWA TPR-945 Portable Cassette Tape Recorder Original Catalogue 02.jpg
    AIWA TPR-945 Portable Cassette Tape Recorder Original Catalogue 02
    I have never opened mine since 03 August 2013 when i bought it & well I found this page too in my delving around in my computer stuff an well here it is

18. Cassette2go

Drat ebay's history of online purchases only goes back about 7 years to this page.
    https://www.ebay.com/mye/myebay/purchase?page=13
    so I paid around $200 for it ok, I do not really want to work on the Sanyo M9998K but this AIWA TPR-945 sounds more appealing to delve into since I got it back when and maybe free up some shelf space, once I get it out of it's shipping box from when I bought it, in what 2013 year sometime.
    Hmmm.