JVC Woodcone Midi System

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by Ken80s, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

If you find the Realistic Super Tweeters Ken80s, make sure they are the made in Japan metal models, I was looking over at audiokarma and there's three versions with the early all-metal being the most sought after. Mine look like the above models and I have no ideal what the others look like.

2. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

My objective is to achieve a well balanced sound reproduction, having said that the tweeter shall not overly emphasize on the highs. I'm using a pair of car vintage tweeters which match up nicely my midi system. Cymbals are quite noticeable now even at a certain distance.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Mystic Traveller likes this.
  3. Redfish

Redfish New Member

That's truly interesting. I'm so glad you posted the "Development Story" because the question had already formed in my mind when reading the first part. I would have driven myself nuts trying to figure out how they did it. I'm familiar enough with bending wood to know that some species lend themselves to bending more readily than others. Even at veneer thicknesses, some will bend further than others without cracking. For what it's worth, fabric softener (and heat) was one of the favorites of people who built boats or laminated frames for other structures. I've seen 1 cm sticks tied in knots. But then you can't drink the left over fabric softener that you didn't need for bending the wood so, in my mind, sake is a much better choice. As for stabilizing it once it's bent, that would be the more important part of the process because regardless of what you do to bend it, the vibration of using it for a speaker cone would ruin it. So, like others here, the question I'm left with is, "Is it really still wood when they're done with it?" The accoustic properties of wood come from the wood itself. They are altered by glues and finishes to an extent so those choices are important too. Stradivari and Guaneri (spelling?) knew that. So I'm not so sure this was anything more than marketing hype. However, I would still like to hear them. JVC didn't do too many things that didn't work. As for speaker technology and what sounds good, the writings of Lynn Olson are a great resource. I've long wanted to build a pair of Ariels. Hope I live that long. Till then I'll continue to love and replace the woofer surrounds on my Infinity RsB's.
    Don

Reli, Jameswp67 and Ken80s like this.
  4. Jameswp67

Jameswp67 New Member

Love these as well, I saw one recently but I want to pull the speakers and put them in a boombox!

5. Juan Asano

Juan Asano New Member

That system is beautiful, Ken80s!! I’ve been and am still definitely in the market for JVC’s whole line of wood cone speakers, except the very expensive hi-end models - too much $$$. I’ve only seen one on ePay in the last few months. I’ll probably have to buy the whole system. There’s even been a couple of new boxed offerings.

Ken80s likes this.
  6. zsfcsd33

zsfcsd33 New Member

If you are asking about the basketball shoes, then there are many blogs and websites that review the shoes that are on the trend.