Panasonic S-Xbs mod

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Honomo, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Honomo

Honomo New Member

A5364E89-0441-4396-A8EF-B40A4D3A5569.jpeg 8B9C0910-26D1-4B46-BB1A-4B1114B829CE.jpeg E01B7748-A033-421E-B4C7-060F15CD0AC1.jpeg 6DCA0758-DAB2-45C4-8077-DB62B61428F6.jpeg

Hello everyone, i’m Rodrigo, and i live in Argentina. I’m new in this Forum, and i’ve been told to post my question here ( tech talk ).

I wanted to share with you my experience with the panasonic s-xbs in the year 2020, and ask you a few questions if it is posible. I haven’t found info on the this topic in the web, so i hope someone might help me in this forum.

I bought 2 panasonic walkmans recently. I changed the belts, and started playing old cassettes. I didn’t remember how annoying was this s-xbs Bass boost. The amount of bass is ridiculous. I remembered why I always prefered to not use it in the past. But unlike 20 years ago, now the service manuals are online for most of the models. I only know basic things about electronics, but i think i found a cap (surface mount, of course) that is responsible for that excess of bass. I soldered an ordinary cap in parallel (after testing a few different values) to the surface mount one, and for my ears, there is a big improvement in the sound. Now, when i turn the s-xbs on, there is more bass, but not too much, not annoying, not saturated, more defined low end. It really sounds much better. Now i always leave the s-xbs function active.

As i said, my knowdelge in the fields of electronics is very limited, and i don’t understand why there is less bass.

Here are the technical aspects:

I modified 2 walkmans. RQ-e30v and RQ-NX60v. Both share the same IC to control the xbs system. I searched in the manuals and found a pin of this IC1 that was labeled LPF (low pass filter i asumed!). Related to this pin, there was a cap (0.1uf or 0.22uf depending on the walkman model). As i said before, i tested different values in parallel with this cap, and noted the higher the value of the cap, the less bass i was getting in the earphones. That has no sense for me, because in a LPF the freq. is higher if the cap value is lower. Is it ok? Is my thought right? And if it is, why is there less bass in this circuit when the cap value is higher? Will my mod eventually blow the ic? For know, it has worked flawlessly. Can someone help me with this? I didn’t find any info in the web, so if someone can help i’d be very glad to learn what happened.
    I forgot to tell you i’m using AKG-k72 headphones.
    The images attached are from the nx60v.

Thank you very much!!!

Cheers

2. Honomo

Honomo New Member