Hello from Colorado

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by uku005, Jul 6, 2020.

1. uku005

uku005 New Member

Hello, This is all al little out of my comfort zone, but, I've joined because I've found myself more and more interested in older electronics as of late. My dad (who passed away ~ 5 years ago repaired electronics) but it's not my area at all. I have Boodo Khan that (original box, headphones, etc) that I'd love to get in shape to give to my husband for his birthday. The wm is in excellent condition save the clicking sound.

I've found the gear part, rubber capstan ring, small reel gears, etc. that are now available (looks like a long time in the making :)) and I've read through the in-depth tutorial that is available. What a great resource, btw! I'm usually good at paying keen attention to detail and following directions. But, my fear is I have no knowledge of electronics. I'm super scared of messing up something that causes more problems...

Before I take any action, I thought this might be a great forum to get some advice on whether or not y'all think I could methodically tackle it on my own or if it would be best to find a tech to take on the work...

Looking forward to exploring the forums and learning more about one of my dad's passions (he'd be so proud :)

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Welcome uku005! you have a common dilemma, a really nice portable that needs some maintanance. Yours is highly sought after and I'd wait until after you have some experince before opening up. First I'd find some cool units from the 80's on Ebay and work on them for experience. Most are pretty simple to get to all of the important parts but some get pretty complicated and you need patience and basic understanding of how they are assembled. I've found that most electronics have survived but the mechanical parts either have worn or dried up and don't work correctly (rubber wheels/belts). I'd concentrate on units with those issues and get comfortable with swapping out those parts.

During the process, keep a careful eye on small screws and springs, take a lot of photos so you know how to put it back together. Have a work space set up that might be used for a few days, something might be missing that you have to order. Never force any "stuck" parts, you may be missing a screw or clip. Have a magnet and magnifying glass nearby.

Some are easy, some you'll be pulling your hair out, good luck!

uku005 likes this.
  3. uku005

uku005 New Member

Hi Mister X. Thank you! I think that's a fantastic suggestion. While I've never tinkered much with electronics, I've got lots of experience with our other passion of vw engines. I imagine it is similar to pulling and taking apart the engine and then when you try to put it back together, inevitably one thing is missed and it throws everything for a loop ;-).

Lots of little parts in these guys. I'd love to learn more about them so I love the idea of getting a couple of to start to play with and get more familiar. Ebay, here I come!! :)

BTW, any recommendation on a good (and cool) model for me to start with?

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

This is a great model, it's more clunky then the little wonders that came after but is a very nice looking model. They usually go for $30-70, sorry about the big photo, it's from the listing. I used to like having a radio because the players are battery hogs and the radio would play long after the the cassette stopped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-...134070?hash=item3b4a26e776:g:1eoAAOSw3JhfBQPN

Feel free to post your cars, there's a thread around here with some cool member's cars. I've got a 92 E30 BMW that is a blast to drive, I've posted some photos in various threads.

aiwa hs.jpg

K7guy likes this.
  5. uku005

uku005 New Member

Thanks for the suggestion Mister X! And for the price guidance, too. I'll watch this auction for sure! I feel like such a beginner here. I have so much to learn. But, have to start someplace!

I'll continue to look around the forum too (so much great information) and I'll definitely post some car pics when/where appropriate. Vintage German cars are my jam!

K7guy likes this.