Need an advice

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Werleoka, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Werleoka

Werleoka New Member

Hi mates!
    Recently decided buy a walkman. Unfortunately I can't choose the best as I'm quite new at cassette players. There is guy in my city selling both mint and red Aiwa HS-P6 (JP release) and Sony WM-30. Which one is better and why? Is it worth buying Sony WM-30?
    Best Regards,
    Leo
    Screenshot_20200714-150406_2.jpg Screenshot_20200715-105256_2.jpg

2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

The best thing you can do is take some cassettes and go and have a listen to both, then pick the one that sounds best to your ears.

3. Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor Active Member

It is not easy to compare as both unit are very desirable.Sony Wm-30 is rare to find in red and is in my opinion the nicer looking unit and also the smallest at the time being only slightly bigger than a cassette itself . It is necessary to slide the lid open to insert the cassette

. I would suggest it is worth going to the Walkman Archive site which reviews both these units I recall and which may help you come to a decision. If you can it would be helpful to listen to each unit if you can meet up with the person selling them as looks are not everything and sound quality is important . I have both units and personally there is not much to chose with respect to the sound quality but again it will depend what phones you are using to listen to them and sound quality is very subjective
    I would think that the Sony is the more expensive to buy and it is worth a search on EBay in UK or USA I am sure there will be others on this site who can give a more expert opinion than I can but I hope this helps as a starter .

http://www.walkman-archive.com/gadgets/walkman_sony_02_wm30_eng.htm

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Werleoka likes this.
  4. Werleoka

Werleoka New Member

Pretty logical !) As for me the best one is WM-30, especially the design! I've read a review at Walkman Archive, but unfortunately the one they had was working.

5. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

For me desirability and design are lower down on my list. First and foremost is sound quality, i don’t sit there looking at it besides i can’t see it as it’s on my belt.

6. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

Of course finding them both red is not easy .. The use you have of them can influence your decisions in the sense that both sound and aesthetics or starting to create a collection can affect the decision Of course for each of us it is very easy to say take this or the other, but your ear and your eye will choose ( I would take them both )

Werleoka likes this.
  7. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

depends on the offering price
    depends on your budget
    depends on your priorities: is it going to your shelf or to be used as daily music device?

8. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

Hi Leo ,
    They are both very good walkmans , both from the far 1984 that means their caps are 36 years old , maybe they work as they should or not , I'm pointing that out as even if you are able to test-listen them you may get a wrong impression as one may seem better than the other just because it is in less worse condition.

Having said that when they were brand new Aiwa and Sony gave the following specs :

Frequency response : Aiwa 40-16000 Hz (metal tape) , Sony 40-15000 (tape selector to Cro2-metal).

Output power : Aiwa 20mW+20mW (EIAJ/DC) , Sony 5mW+5mW (at 10% total harmonic distortion) at DC operation .

Signal to noise ratio : Aiwa 51 + - 4dB (DC) P.B. , Sony not giving any data.

Below you can find the front pages of the service manual for both (the Japanese HS-P6 should be identical to HS-PO6) , It's interesting that AIWA is providing exhaustive specification data

Attached Files:

Mister X and Werleoka like this.
  9. Werleoka

Werleoka New Member

Well, guys!
    Thanks to you all for your advice, they were pretty helpful!!!
    I'm going to meet with the seller next monday, he agreed to take both, so I'll test them both and show you the one I bought.

10. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

they‘re both units for the vitrine, not for daily use. the Aiwa is the rather more reliable player but difficult to fix when broken, the Sony is a rather flimsy unit, i do have had (and still have) some, even fixed and upgraded by dr.walkman - they‘re not really daily units.
    if you‘re not looking for exact one of those go and look for a good Sony DD

11. Werleoka

Werleoka New Member

Good evening mates! As promised, going to show you my latest purchase – Sanyo JJ-P1:) Absolutely brilliant sound and mint condition, I'm so happy with it!!! What can you say about this beauty?

Attached Files:

Machaneus likes this.
  12. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

They all look pretty nice to me, I'm not good with nice things and they get beaten up easily. It's one of the reasons why I like vintage, it already has scratches and blemishes. Both of those are timeless units, Sony owned part of AIWA but we'll never know how much overlap they had. My super-smart neighbor always told me AIWA was better than Sony and Machaneus's Data backs that up. Both these units are works of art and you rarely see red over here, I'd love to display them but get something like the Sony WM-D6 for everyday use. These were used by reporters and TV stations and may have some battle scars so you don't have to worry about their condition as much. That Sanyo looks really nice, was it the same seller? I think he gets on this forum every once in a while, he has some amazing equipment.

Machaneus likes this.
  13. Werleoka

Werleoka New Member

Yep it was the same guy. He buys equipment from Japan and restores it. One of the biggest shops of vintage cassette and vinyl equipment in Moscow.

Mister X likes this.
  14. Philip Taylor

Cn you let us know where we can find this man?

15. Werleoka

Werleoka New Member

Yep ! He sells all the stuff at our local "eBay", I think he speaks English.
    https://www.avito.ru/user/a4558f1cd5b651620a1e23868bdb6360/profile?src=sharing
    Thought you have to register there to have the opportunity to contact him. If you would need any help, DM me))) If you'd like to buy anything there note that Ruble exchange rate is: 1€=81Rub
    1£=89Rub, 1$=70Rub

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Machaneus and Silver965 like this.
  16. Philip Taylor

Thanks for speedy response it is a nice site with some interesting units . I will contact you if I want to get in touch with him I can use a translator to check what he says about the i it’s but I am not sure if his prices are Buy it now or Bids and I am reluctant to copy and paste on these in case I commit to buying

Werleoka likes this.
  17. Werleoka

Werleoka New Member

This website isn't auction, so all the stuff you can buy without bidding (Buy it now).

18. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

thanks for the info and for the link

Werleoka likes this.
  19. Werleoka

Werleoka New Member

Glad to help you!)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  20. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

There's a shop that's been posted on here in a mall, I'm not sure if it's the same guy but he also has very nice equipment. There's a link to his store in the discussion.