New arrival (JVC M70) - reminds me of being a kid again!

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Tredders, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Tredders

Tredders New Member

Hi all

New member here - I owned a JVC M70 back in the early 80's when I was a kid, and recently got the opportunity to buy a refurbished and serviced model, so jumped at it. Here it is... It's in great condition (especially when you consider this one is a 1981 model), and works perfectly.

One thing that surprised me when I turned it on, is how good the sound quality is, and also how loud it goes. My over-riding memory of owning one of these when I was a kid is how much it weighed with the 10 D cell batteries in! Pretty sure I'll be running this on the power cord these days...!

[​IMG]

2. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Welcome and congrats!! Great score!! :thumbsup:

Tredders likes this.
  3. Papa

Papa Member

Nice Box
    Welcome Tredders.

Tredders likes this.
  4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Welcome, I don't know what I like better, the box or the Beastie Boys Tape! I saw them front row on that tour and it was awesome! Fishbone opened the show back in their prime but they still tour. The M70 is a monster, pictures don't do it justice, it's a big beast and yours looks spotless. I've fully gone over to Eneloop Rechargeables, I've cursed too many times at dead batteries and I use a ton of them. I bought the Eneloop D converter, where you put an AAA inside but you can find ones on Ebay that fit three AAA in each D case.

Tredders likes this.
  5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I have loads of the Lidl "Tronic" D cells. £3 for two 4AH D cells when they have them in. As for Eneloops it seems likely that the high capacity Ikea Ladda batteries are the same.

When I have time I must scan a rechargable battery price list I found from 1979. They were more expensive back then than they are now !

Tredders likes this.
  6. Mister X

The Ikea Batteries are the same if you get the "Made in Japan" marked versions.

7. WheelyPanamax2

WheelyPanamax2 Active Member

This is beautiful!!! Great score and welcome!

8. WheelyPanamax2

WheelyPanamax2 Active Member

Great suggestion, I will check these out!

9. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I do love the M70

Mister X likes this.
  10. Mister X

Northerner, good to see you popping in!

11. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Cheers. I’m still about, still collecting, just don’t waffle on as much as I used to lol

12. Phil Wood

Phil Wood Member

13. Phil Wood

Phil Wood Member

Back in the early eighties, when I lived in bedsitland, I had a JVC PC5 portable component system, i.e. bolt together boombox. Not long before I moved away it got stolen, although they left the speakers which served me as car speakers for years. I never found another one. Then; someone invented EBay and old things for sale began to appear. When I started looking I still didn't find one, but I found it's big brother, the PC55L. I bought it, fully working apart from an aerial and the LCD on the cassette which is a common problem, as well as a faulty auto-reverse. Eventually I saw another which was sold as not working, bought it and the cassette deck was almost perfect, replaced the backlights for the LCD, now the only problem is that it will not record, annoying but not a great problem, I record to minidisc these days. The seller said the amp did not work (True), said when they tried it there was smoke (couldn't see any burning when I looked inside). I bought it for the cassette deck so I was happy. All working great now, pity it won't record, the other deck records but the display isn't working, can't have it all I suppose! The display really does not show up on the phone camera, I am going to swap to white LEDs and if that doesn't work I will add the green rubber filters to them to see what looks best, it is a sod of a job so I am not going to hurry into it, still trying to sort my Aiwa F770. Wish I knew someone who knows electronics and could look at the amp in my spare, if it is fixable it would be worth doing. IMG_0420[1].JPG

14. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

:thumbsup2: PC-55 is a Great Radio - congrats!

15. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Pc55 is great one of jvc's finest, enjoy her dude:delighted:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020