Greetings & Salutations to you all!

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by Darth Odious, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Darth Odious

Darth Odious New Member

Stumbled across 3 of my back in the day Walkman's in my garage after a clear out which included:
    PANASONIC RQ-SX21, AIWA HS-J09 AIWA HS PL 505. Found some of my old mix-tapes too and that was it! I was hooked! But I'm missing one from the early 80's it was white (I think) with 2 speakers at the front that could fold out. I can't remember the make or model. Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

welcome aboard
    you got 3 good sounding walkman (specially 2 AIWAs). your HS-J09 is the best of them. Changing belt on these units require some experience.
    RQ-SX21 needs two belts and require part of the board to be unsoldered for belt installation.
    HS-J09 doesn't require soldering but you have to be very careful . This unit probably is the best walkman AIWA ever made (personal opinion). you need to have some experience before trying to install a new belt on this unit.

3. Darth Odious

Darth Odious New Member

Eureka! Found a photo of the missing Walkman. Picture isn't brilliant, but I hope this is enough for someone to identify the make and model .
    Mystery Walkman.jpg

4. Darth Odious

Darth Odious New Member

Many thanks for the heads up! Are there any threads tackling the belt replacements?

Boodokhan likes this.
  5. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I am not sure if any member placed a step by step guide on changing belt for these models
    Follow the service manual
    https://elektrotanya.com/aiwa_hs-j09_j600_t09_t600_sm.pdf/download.html#dl
    I changed belt on 2 AIWA HS-J600 which is identical to J09 but it took a long time to do it.

I have also changed the belt on Several SX series including 2 SX21, The problem is you don't know how the walkman will function unless you solder the board back. So make sure you use the correct belts (requires 2 belts: the smaller belt 40mm 0.6mm is hard to find).
    find the right belts at fixyouraudio site.