Grotty Plastics Clean

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Exasperant, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Exasperant

Exasperant New Member

In my quest to resurrect interesting dead things, I've ended up with a couple of really, really, extremely, nasty boom boxes/ radio cassette players.

I could attack them with various cleaning chemicals and cloths, but I was wondering - As I've got to strip them for repairs anyway, could I get away with putting the plastics in the dishwasher?

2. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

that's what i do with dirty pinball-parts - but be careful with boomboxes, many off'em are made from thermoplast wich bends in all directions with the heat of a dishwasher - wouldn't recommend that !

3. Exasperant

Exasperant New Member

Maybe a cooler was cycle?

Although the drying part blasts ultra hot water, I think, so I'd have to sit by the machine ready to hit stop before then.

Hmm. Hand washing it might have to be then. *shudder*

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Stay away from the dishwasher! Most dishwashers start at 120 degrees F and get hotter which will either melt or distort boombox (thermoplastic) plastics. Thermoplastics start getting pliable at 120 F. Get on the forum reader, some of our members used to clean boxes that looked like they were pulled out of the dump. I think the standard practice is to place the parts in warm water and soap, let soak and scrub the dirt off with something very soft. 8-Bit Guy cleans a lot of 80's technology on his YouTube Channel, check out his ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8uT9cgJorJPWu7ITLGo9Ww

Exasperant likes this.
  5. Exasperant

Exasperant New Member

Yeah, I was worried the detergent might also be an issue, but the temp is probably the main obstacle. I've twinged both wrists, so was really hoping for as lazy a solution as possible. Oh well.

And it can wait a while anyway, I seem to have turned a bought as faulty but seemed to work fine personal stereo into a messed around a bit now it's faulty personal mono...

6. Mister X

The other issue, especially with larger boomboxes is there is so much wiring and boards that are mechanically fastened to the shells, it can take a few hours just to get all of the pieces apart.

Exasperant likes this.
  7. Exasperant

Exasperant New Member

Oh, I'm already committed to that hell, and the need for creative solutions to reattaching bits that might've been glued/ plastic rivet thing held on.

8. DutchNick

DutchNick Active Member

Commiserations - I have just spent two days stripping back to bare plastic a big Sharp Twin Cam machine that has been in a woodworking shed for years. OMG: dust, wood dust, oil, spiders, paper wasp cocoons cementing all the screws deep in their holes... now for the big wash day, then on to the main mech which is a right mess. The last project, a Hitachi TRK-3D2W, must have been the workshop radio in a diesel shop, almost impregnated with soot. Happily resurrected but looking its age now as the cleaning takes its toll on the red graphics particularly.

Mister X likes this.
  9. Mister X

I bought a 3D pen recently but it's a lot more difficult to master than the YouTube Videos show, it would be a step up from a hot glue gun or you might be able to rebuild some pieces with it. Maybe even plastic weld cracks from the inside of the case. 8-bit guy does some neat stuff to an old Apple II+ Case that has a big hole in it, I'd also recommend some of his other videos for redoing graphics.

Exasperant likes this.
  10. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

I would also avoid the dishwasher but recently discovered the ultrasonic cleaner. These do a great job with either cold water or for more stubborn grot a drop of detergent in warm water. Although best with metal they work on any material and come in a variety of tank sizes with timers and heat settings.

11. Exasperant

Exasperant New Member

I think that might be the all time winner for most disgusting and slightly creepy crawly terrifying refurb!

Never tried a 3D pen, although you've got me thinking freehand melty plastic might be useful for some things. Currently trying to get my head around SLA/ resin printing, in the hope it'll be up for doing the small, fiddly, usually breaks with age, plastic parts. Will go check what he's got for graphics redoing, as that's something I've worried about with some of the pile of hoping to fix (but may well make worse..!) things.

I'd kill for an ultrasonic. I had a crack at learning some basic tablet repairs a year or two ago, and being able to dip the boards in a magic box and come back to them clean would've been a thing of wonder. But decent sized ones seem to cost an arm, leg, kidney and half a liver :(

12. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

For internal repairs have you tried Sugru ?

https://sugru.com/buy?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIobbg4YLF6wIVFuDtCh3XdACDEAAYASAAEgIAffD_BwE

I have used it quite alot. Think of Blu Tack that sets into a hard rubber within about 30 minutes. You can even mix different colours to get the colour you want. It is no good for precision parts but for fixing a hole of cracked case from the inside it is pretty good. My previous car had about £10 worth sealing all the leaks around the tailgate. It certainly lasts well even in a demanding job like fixing the door seal on a front loading washing machine.

I haven't tried Milliput but read about it here

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=143069

Exasperant likes this.
  13. Mister X

I used to sell Seelye Plastic Welders, these are more for larger projects, guys use them for turntable covers and larger fabrications but you may be able to do some beads inside of a boombox cover. The 3D pens are pretty cool but I haven't had time to play with mine yet, the learning curve is very steep but once you get the feed rate down I'm sure you can make just about anything. 3Doodler invented the technology and has a patent, the videos show some neat things being made and you can do secondary processes like sanding on the finished work.

Exasperant likes this.
  14. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Strip em down and soak them in hot soapy water then give them a scrub. That’s what I do with all mine. I like them clean!

Mister X likes this.