Cool stuff for sale mega-thread.

Discussion in 'Auctions and classifieds' started by Mister X, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Darren

Darren Member

just reading this has reminded me that i have the Coke personal cassette player, it has a belt clip and a wrest band. I will post a pic when i have chance.

Mister X and Sly. like this.
  2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

With Derek's recent posting of Sony catalogues I thought I had to add this too this thread.

sony stack.jpg
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-TC-...234408?hash=item3668211c68:g:IZwAAOSwfWJfMCH8

At first I thought there must be duplicates in this stack but everything is different.
    Including a VCR might be a slight cheat but it matches and is HiFi (some say close to CD).
    It is a wonder that tuner at the bottom hasn't collapsed.

I wonder how much all that cost new ?

Mister X and Darren like this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I'll admit I went down that road back in the early 90's, I'm pretty sure I still have everything. The Sony Components were nice for a mid-level stereo, I was broke and "vintage" equipment wasn't popping up yet at the thrifts and garage sales. These don't all match but when they do they don't look half bad, the turntable is probably the weak part, that looks really cheap but albums were yesterdays tech.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  4. Longman

So you have done the twin cassette decks and added a CD to your boombox. What next ?

JVC thought the answer was twin CDs. this is their PC-XT3

JVC PC-XT3.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jvc-Twin...763759?hash=item289625fcaf:g:KvMAAOSwLjhdMZcB

I'm not sure quite what the point was apart from extended playing without having to get up.
    I'm sure I have seen a similar machine that used a single laser on extra long rails to cover both discs.

It could be a bargain if you are in Leeds. Certainly better value than Aldi's squeakbox.

Mister X and Twopotjock like this.
  5. Mister X

Now that's an oddball, it's too bad JVC's just got so ugly, my heart drops when I see the quality and the egg-shaped design didn't age at all, in fact that whole early 90's rounded everything never really got any traction. We had the Ford Taurus over here, they would brag about how there were no straight lines on the entire car. With the exception of the SHO, you never see any around.

6. Mister X

Someone will have to pay up and shipping might be a killer outside of the EU but this is one of the coolest boxes to come out of the 70's. JVC was hitting on all cylinders during these years and if it wasn't for the Walkman, they might have been the dominate electronics company to come out of the decade. I'm drooling over this, I think one, maybe two have shown up on the forum over the years but they are definately rare. It's multi-voltage which helps ease the pain and looks like it's done shelf duty most of it's life. The JVC 3090EN TV Boombox
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/815...a68263251db9714833838cd03ef10:815784981&cns=1

il_1140xN.2332857148_ts3x.jpg

Darren and Twopotjock like this.
  7. Mister X

Papa likes this.
  8. Longman

Twopotjock and Mister X like this.
  9. Mister X

and that is a true boombox, nice find Longman! That would have been a great player for the beach and it looks like it was stereo. It's actually pretty nice for how old it is, too bad I don't have a huge budget for a boombox museum.

10. Mister X

While not a boombox, they don't have cassette decks, the BCL radios from Japan are super cool looking. Mostly from the late 70's the Japanese used to love surfing the radio dial in and getting a ton of foreign stations from that part of the world. A few of the online stores in Japan have been posting more cool audio lately, this is area I'd get into but there's no bargains when you add shipping. The National Panasonic Cougar Line seems to be one of the most popular and you can tell the designers really went overboard with this one. If I had gotten something like this as a kid I would have been sooo happy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Na...onal+panasonic&_trksid=p2047675.c101196.m2219

Cougar 7.jpg

Twopotjock likes this.
  11. Derek marshall

Derek marshall Well-Known Member

Hi Longman. Have never seen a system quite like that before. The mind boggles. I'm a very happy bunny ag the moment. My ex wife has found my Sony PS-X7 turntable in her loft. I thought it had lo g gone. Still pa packed in its original box. Will post photos when I'm able to get it but house moving at the moment so maybe a while.

12. Longman

I have seen Sanyos that had a swing out speaker like that but not one in which the electronics ws split between the two unit.

Congratulations on finding the PS-X7. From Ebay prices t would cost you a lot to buy another.

13. Derek marshall

Derek marshall Well-Known Member

Hi Longman. Yes I'm very pleased but unfortunately she got rid of my cassette deck and amplifier a d speakers. What can you do?

14. Mister X

Cassette Storage, these are really cool! Holding 50 tapes each, I have to believe these heavy duty tape boxes were for commercial applications. The manufacturer is out of California, either Sony commissioned these or Simplector licensed the Sony Name. If I had the room these would look beautiful with my Walkman Display, hopefully someone else grabs these, I'm half-way to buying them.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Cass...age-50-Tape-Dispenser-EXCELLENT-/123703935789

sony box 1.jpg

Darren likes this.
  15. Mister X

Twopotjock and Darren like this.
  16. Longman

Did you look at the dates on the filed in index card? Started in 1975 and ended in 1976. To me these look like the sort of thing that would have been used at a radio station. The trademark and the colour reminds me of U-Matic video recorders which were never really a product aimed at home users.

17. Mister X

I missed that photo, it has police department labels, they must have recorded the dispatchers for back-up. It's amazing that someone held on to those for 45 years.

18. Longman

Perhaps they had to hold on to the tapes for forty years as evidence.

19. Mister X

Twopotjock likes this.
  20. Twopotjock

Twopotjock Member

Nice :thumbsup2:

That light cream was used on quite a few Japanese domestic products I saw there, right into the 80's, sort of fits with Japanese culture. It has also featured in some of the "Retro" styled cars more recently.