Tape Walkman.

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by Derek marshall, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Derek marshall

Derek marshall Well-Known Member

Not sure if this topic has been discussed before but here goes. What is your favourite every day unit you take out with you ( when you can go out) from the ex-series walkmans? I use the ex-615 . I don't own any other ex series walkmans so cannot comment on those but I do love the 615. I'm still using the original NC-6WM battery that came with the unit. I still get about 4-5 hours playback which is not bad for a 20 year old battery. So what are your favourite walk about units?

2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Sony WM-DC2

3. Derek marshall

Derek marshall Well-Known Member

Hi Chris. Do you have and use occasionally any ex Walkman?

4. TooCooL4

Nope, i only have D6C, DC2 and DD9. Oh and an Aiwa HS-PL707.

5. ianthepostie

ianthepostie Active Member

Mine is the EX-511. Its very small and has nice round edges like a bar of soap! Its just lovely to sit and hold while you watch the tape go round through the window. Sounds ace too and plays forever on its rechargeable battery.

6. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

My routine daily walkman is a DD33.
    I have probably over 100 EX series but none of them are a routine walkman or daily use walkman.
    But if I have to take one of them for a trip or a walk then 615 or 670 would be my best choice.

7. Krayzie

Krayzie New Member

Best I've used on the go was actually the WM-EX80 with their first LCD remote and MDR-E472 earphones. Back in the 90's I had the WM-EX1HG and the fast winding was really loud and that would wear out the drive belt within a year lol! Now I only have the WM-DD9 left but it weighs a ton (sadly I no longer have any mixed tapes to listen with).

Aiwa HS-JX707/3000 is nice with that cool voice navigation, but the remote cord is way too long and the machine itself is huge. This was considered the top black brick / gold brick of its day, kinda like the NW-WM1A/1Z of now.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  8. TooCooL4

Krayzie I don’t think the Aiwa HS-JX707 is that big, I use to use and carry it around all the time. Now the Sony WM-D6C is big, again I carry that around too on it shoulder strap. :nwink:

I used to have the HS-JX101, HS-JX303, HS-JX505 and HS-JX707.

9. Krayzie

Krayzie New Member

Cuz I used to stick it into my pant pocket so I wanted the slimmest machine possible, and the best choice was the playback only EX series (some would argue that National/Panasonic Mi-Jocky was even slimmer, but only Sony had the super fast response bus connector remote).

Haha shoulder straps those were very cool. My mother used to toy with a Sony ANK-L2 Caraoke Walkman (basically modified TPS-L2 with 4 channel output including the stereo mic, I still have this) and it came with a buttoned leather case and shoulder strap.

Mister X likes this.
  10. TooCooL4

I always carry my personal stereo on my belt, so I guess the size never bothered me since I did not try to put it in my pocket.