Toshiba XR9459

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by TK421, Sep 23, 2020.

1. TK421

TK421 Member

Hi everyone,
    New pick up but not as lucky as with the Fisher PCD. It’s not in the same quality range but it also won’t turn on at all. I’ve tried with batteries, wall adapter and the base it comes with and nothing happens. Any ideas why? I’m hoping it’s something obvious that I haven’t thought of.

5BA481D6-E33A-455A-ABC3-B6889A325D19.jpeg A26EA1F7-9258-41C6-833C-16AE17BF3FDA.jpeg 0400D4D2-9874-4DF6-BB7A-896E799B6BB9.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Jorge likes this.
  2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

You cannot be lucky allthetime, especially with Toshiba Discmans. With Fisher Discman (made by Toshiba) you did get very lucky, and can exchange it for about any Discman you wish, including The King, D-555.
    Unlike Tosh Walkmans and boomboxes, their Discmans were NOT as "future-proof" and aged very badly.
    XR-9459 is beautiful and sounds much better than Fisher, if you manage to revive it. you will find a few pointers what has to be done at kaosuncd.com Usually I ended up sending my Toshiba Discmans to Kaosun for restoration

3. TK421

TK421 Member

Seems strange that it won’t turn on at all. It literally looks brand new :thinking:

Jorge likes this.
  4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

This is actually Normal for Toshiba Discmans: electrolytic capacitors in their power supply went bad. And the most unfortunate thing is that one cap which drives the laser is usually shorted, so once you plug Tosh onto wal-wart, you also fry the laser... then you have to send it to Kaosun because he is the only Dude on Earth who knows how to install a new laser diode into a Discman and how to align it...
    Re your comment that it looks New: electrolytics age worse when not in use, the reason you should Not buy them for cheap from eBay from our Chinese comrads...