New Panasonic RQ-S Belts

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by soundabout, Oct 5, 2020.

1. soundabout

soundabout Member

Hello.

I'm working with a friend who has a connection in Japan to manufacture a limited run of new belts for the Panasonic RQ-S drive platform. As you know there are already other solutions available on eBay for this belt type, but this new production run will create highly precise belts to match the original thickness, diameter and material quality of OEM belt from Panasonic.

We specified the size of these new belts based on the original Panasonic part, so that it will have a precise fit with RQ-S units for optimum performance.

The price is not cheap, a little less than $600 USD total for 100 custom belts. If anyone else is interested in "investing" with me and my friend, we can divide the cost and the belts.

Thank you

Jorge likes this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for doing some legwork, it keeps the hobby chugging along. I don't have any of the newer Panasonics so I'm out but good luck, I hope the project is successful!

Jorge likes this.
  3. soundabout

soundabout Member

Thank you for your good words. If this project works out, we'll share our results with the stereo2go community.

Jorge likes this.
  4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Can you please specify the belt size?

Jorge likes this.
  5. Boodokhan

I received a private message from you, but I rather discuss it here.
    Can you please be more specific on the belt that way I can decide whether or not want to participate in your offer.
    Please mention the size of the belt you are working on it.

Jorge likes this.
  6. Boodokhan

The belt you are referring belong to the older Panasonic models. I used to install these belts on older Panasonic RQ-S series and my belts were slightly smaller than what you referred. I think 2 mm smaller than yours. I am not sure which one is correct.

Most of my Panasonic walkman units are newer models which use 2 belts instead of one
    So this option is not for me
    and good luck to you

Jorge likes this.
  7. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Sounds like a worthy project but I have one Question: Why Bother???
    @mihokm sells pretty nice belts for this model of Panasonics, and myself plus @Boodokhan already used them for a few ‘resurrections’ of this rather lowly Walkman... I would like to see W&F specs from these new, Japanese-msde belts, as compared to what is already available from @mihokm

let me say it again: there is soo many Awesome boomboxes and Walkmans in need of (non-existent) new belts and tyres: WHY this Panasonic line got selected for The Upgrade? Pain in the @ss to fix, questionable SQ when restored...

Boodokhan likes this.
  8. soundabout

soundabout Member

Hi Jorge.

To answer your question, as mentioned in my first post, we want to make a better belt to match the OEM Panasonic belt. Like most members in this forum, I collect many different kinds of personal stereo cassette players. However I really prefer the sound of a well-tuned RQ-S unit.

Our biggest issue is that most aftermarket belts for the RQ-S series are slightly tight and cause wow or flutter. This is especially heard during mid-range audio signals, like a Beethoven piano sonata. With most pop, rock, etc. music you might not notice the wow and flutter with the aftermarket belts that are currently available.

I've tried a multitude of aftermarket belts over the years on several of my RQ-S units and unfortunately have not yet found a good match to the OEM Panasonic. Back in the day, I bought a few OEM Panasonic belts from Partstore, but those have since stretched and worn. I do have one last remaining OEM Panasonic RQ-S belt, but that's used as a reference for our new belt project. But man, when you install the correct sized belt on an RQ-S unit, the playback is stable and the sound (especially with S-XBS engaged) is amazing. Panasonic did a great job on the amps in these little units.

Jorge likes this.
  9. Boodokhan

why did you remove your post about the belt size?? :iconconfused::iconconfused::iconconfused:

Jorge likes this.
  10. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Got it! Until you get a test sample you wouldn't know if new belts are any better than belts from @mihokm
    Personally, I tend to avoid these Panasonic models: about two years ago I got so impressed by their beauty that bought a box full of RQ-S and RQ-SX walkmans from Yahoo-Japan. By the time I managed to revive just two, I already hated their guts :mad:

Boodokhan likes this.
  11. soundabout

soundabout Member

That's cool if you don't dig the Panasonic RQ-S units. One of the benefits of being collectors is that we have different choices to suit our ears, design and technical needs. Some like Aiwa, some like the classic Sony Walkmans, heck an Astraltune or Sanyo M6060 even have their own nice characteristics. I dunno, for me some days are good for a DD9 others a RQ-S15D, etc.

And yeah, if we proceed with this project I realize that it's taking a chance to spend the $ to produce new RQ-S belts. But I think it's worth taking the risk and trying. It's how to innovate!

The RQ-S units can be challenging little beasts, but that's what makes it interesting for me. Once up and running, what beautifully sounding pieces they can be.

Boodokhan, I don't know what I did with that post! Sorry, here are the belt dimensions again: length 206.5 mm X 0.6 mm, square.

Speaking of belts, right now I'm listening to a three-belt turntable, the Optonica RP-114VL, to pay homage to the great Eddie Van Halen (album: 1984).

Thanks fellas for the lively chat, I appreciate your feedback.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  12. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

You would have to bring up a new toy, that Optonica is sooooo nice. I've never seen one before but those vertical tables that were kind of cheezy in the 80's have aged well and now are amazing to look at, I can't believe I've never seen that style in all of my research and reading.

13. soundabout

soundabout Member

Yes, the vertical Optonicas have that 80's "look" and have aged well. I'm surprised that they still function properly. The build quality inside is quite impressive; a well organized and extensive array of components. Please let me know if you want to see pics.