Sony TCS 300 rumbling sound Interference

Discussion in 'Test forum' started by Ciaran, Aug 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Ciaran

Ciaran New Member

Hi, I recently repaired the mechanics on a TCS 300 all functions work including fast forward and rewind and the end of tape alarm light functions both towards end of tape and flickers when fast forward and rewind is activated.

however when I first played it through the built in speaker there was a rumbling interference when the volume is increased beyond 4/5 level. I cleaned the contacts of the tone and volume wheel with contact cleaner and this helped. But later when I tested the record function the problem become much more noticeable through headphones and the built in speaker.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Kind regards

2. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Have you cleaned the rec/play switch?

3. Ciaran

Ciaran New Member

Hi, following up this thread a bit late.
    I just changed the belts cleaned all contacts and this player has the exact same problem. When volume is turned up past 3/4 a loud rumble is audible through the speaker and get louder and the tone lower. Using record actually makes it worse. I am curious why the exact same fault are present with the same models, which are in good cosmetic condition. Neither seem to have been opened.
    My theory is that it must be failing capacitors or a magnetic problem. Anybody else have any ideas how to diagnose and fix this problem?
    Kind regards