Help with Auto reverse cassette boombox

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Guile, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Guile

Guile New Member

Hey everyone, I’m not sure if I’m describing this correctly.
    The head on my Aiwa cs-r10 has been slipping and the timing is off.
    What is recommend for this repair? Some type of glue? 5911A44D-83C4-4ACD-BCCA-5749CF4999B5.jpeg

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Please describe the problem better, what is slipping? Does the tape not seem to be moving consistantly? The tape deck head should be bolted down to a frame, some have a little movement because they have springs under them but most are stationary and can only be moved when the screws are loosened.

It sounds like you are talking about the belt and not the head, great box by the way, I've thought about picking one of those up.

3. Guile

Guile New Member

When I change direction to play the cassette in reverse/forward the head goes out of a alignment as it turns and makes contact with the alignment screws on each side.

As shown in the photo I was able to pull the head off the shaft that rotates it quite easily. I’m guessing I need some sorts of glue like loctite to get the head to bond with shaft?

Mister X likes this.
  4. Daniela

Daniela Active Member

Without knowing the device how about LOCTITE® 566 ?
    According to the product description this might be a solution?

Guile likes this.
  5. Guile

Guile New Member

Hi Daniela,

The Bombox is a Aiwa CS-R10. Loctite 566 would do a great job but it’s not available here in Australia, The strongest I could find here Is loctite 263.

6. Phil Wood

Phil Wood Member

I don't know your mechanism, however I have had to fix a JVC PC55l with a similar problem, the head had been knocked well out of alignment on the auto-reverse deck. On mine the head is rotated by some sort of acuating thingy, spinning it 180 degrees till it hits the azimuth screw for the other direction. In one direction the head was not rotating fully, stopping with maybe 20 or 30 degrees to go, this meant that when the deck tried to go into play mode the head assembly hit the cassette case, this knocked everything out of alignment. One drop of the lightest oil I could find got the head rotating properly again, I then just had to re-adjust the azimuth for both directions, now it is working really well.