Sharp CD-X17 repair

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by dave hammond, Oct 23, 2020.

1. dave hammond

dave hammond New Member

Hi All,

I just bought this old beast.. c. 1988. Everything seems to work except predictably, belts gone on the tape deck.. no movement at all. Technically it's a micro system in a boombox shape.

Does anyone know where I can get a service manual? Only subscription services online seem to have it and I don't want to pay and then find out it's a scam or the wrong manual.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Attached Files:

2. dave hammond

dave hammond New Member

Ok, I now have a service manual.. but no guide to changing belts.. I'll have to wing it.

3. Pontyboombox

Pontyboombox New Member

Used to have this model myself....really powerful beast

4. dave hammond

dave hammond New Member

I managed to repair this. It was a real PITA to work on and get to the mechanism. There are several ribbon cable connectors that cannot be removed without breaking so had to be soldered back, or for one short one I made a connector. The belt looked fine but probably slipping too much to engage the heads. I changed it for a new, slightly wider one. Grease had turned solid and jammed it, so gave it a good spray with WD40, cleaned, and re-greased it. The mech is still stiff and sometimes needs a jiggle to get it to engage.. hoping it gets better as the new grease works itself in.

Also fixed the cd lid which had a broken latch.

Only remaining fault is the clock set button does not work, which is annoying but I don't want to open this beast again fora while