Hi From Islamorada, Florida Keys.

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by Bad Droid, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Bad Droid

Bad Droid New Member

Newbie here, just getting back into collecting. Nothing fancy yet, just my WM-D3, JDSLabs Cmoy and a pair of Grado head cans. Like most of you, I'm always on the hunt for anything cool that's related to Walkmans.

I live on a boat so Walkman stuff is perfect, not much space here....

sickly_b likes this.
  2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Stereo2go Bad Droid

You have started off well, using an external amp.:thumbsup2:

3. Bad Droid

Bad Droid New Member

Thanks, yeah the Cmoy is nice but I'm looking at maybe the portable JDS Amp like the C5 or similar. Also would like to test the set up with a Sony SEQ-50 in the mix as well.

Part of the reason I went with the D3 was the line out so I would be able to play with a little more options. Like I mentioned, boat life leaves me with size restrictions so these kind of toys are perfect.

4. TooCooL4

I too do use external amp, I use Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang. I use it mainly with my DC2 & D6C.

DC2andP51.jpg

Boodokhan likes this.
  5. Bad Droid

Bad Droid New Member

Thanks, that's sexy. You should add a pair of kimber interconnects and a pair Grado Headpones to tour pic. LMAO. Kimber is next for me, maybe I'll step up to some Reference Series.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  6. TooCooL4

Bad Droid I do use Kimber silver cables between my personal and amp. I don't like Grado house sound. The only Grado I have liked was the PS500 because it's a Grado designed for none Grado fans, it does not sound like a Grado.

Below my D6C with Kimber silver cables.

WM-D6C.jpg

7. Bad Droid

Bad Droid New Member

You need to strap a SEQ-50 inline there too!

8. TooCooL4

Why would I want to add something that degrades the sound into the mix?

9. Bad Droid

Bad Droid New Member

It was a joke.

10. TooCooL4

Okay :loldiag:

Bad Droid likes this.
  11. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Bad Droid, I've spent a lot of time down in the Keys, one of my favorite destinations. That's interesting that you have to keep equipment to a minimum, I love loud music so I'd have a hard time. Out of curiosity, is there a law of the sea with music volume? Do you ever hear boats cranking music?

12. Bad Droid

Bad Droid New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, what part of the keys do you prefer?

To answer, only to a minimum because of space on our sailboat, limited storage. I calculated it all out and we have around 230 sq feet of living space, and that includes the diesel dog house and both heads. It's not for everyone. Starting year 5 on this boat, thinking a motor yacht next year so we can sprawl out a little more.

I don't think there are any laws about music volumes, people have speakers hanging off their arches and T tops and music is cranking, Its a must.

There are a few un written laws though, like entering marinas and other businesses. Turn that S#%t down! Some of us live and or work here lol. But it's usually not a problem, most people are cool about it. Only the New Yorkers have a problem understanding common courtesy. THAT WAS A JOKE AS WELL.:loldiag:

The Keys are the only place in florida that I would care to live. It's usually hot and sunny, summers are awesome because the Snowbirds are long gone and it's not so busy plus the locals start to regain the majority at the sandbar. Right now not so warm at night, been cold for us. I wouldnt mind living up in parts of the Panhandle (Redneck Riviera), but winter gets to dang cold up there.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    Mister X likes this.
  13. Mister X

I like flying into the mainland and driving down, I've stayed in Islamorada a few times, The Moorings was perfect for relaxing but I usually like to move and see things. I subscribe to the Anthony Bourdain (RIP) type of travel, lot's of local drinks, lot's of walking, lot's of local food and get off the beaten path. Key West is something to see, the older I get the harder it is too be around the huge crowds but when it's a little slower it's a lot of fun. There's not a lot of places in the US where you can still find old-school charm, we had a ton of gritty music clubs up here in the cities but the developers love to snap those up and turn them into multi-story monstrosities. There used to be 100's of bands playing any one night now you really have to search out the clubs and most are on the the wanted (developers) list, luckily you guys still have some of those cool places.

Bad Droid likes this.
  14. Bad Droid

Bad Droid New Member

Good deal, off the beaten path. Next time, if you can, rent a little center console for a day or two and travel around Islamorada/Tavernier and Key largo from the boat. So much to see both bayside and ocean side. Many of the little pubs/bars that have music also have docks so you can take a break. Plus the reefs just off shore ocean side are amazing. Nice and shallow, you can use snorkel gear. There's always the sandbars too.

We bounce around living on docks in Islamorada and Tavernier mostly. Get tired of the neighbors, just move lol.

If you don't like boating, what you're doing is great too. Get out and wander and away from the crowds..

Mister X likes this.
  15. Mister X

I don't get to boat enough but I try to spend a lot of time on the Great Lakes. That sounds like fun renting a boat and cruising around.

Bad Droid likes this.
  16. Bad Droid

Bad Droid New Member

It's a good time for sure, It's a little nerve racking at first, lots of skinny water , especially on the bay side where there are many channels with very shallow water surrounding them. Not hard, just look at the charts for your area and make sure you understand them. Most rental places are good about explaining them to you.

17. Tony S.

Tony S. New Member

Greetings from just north—in Miami. Hard to believe I don't live so far from the Keys, but haven't ventured down past mainland Florida (Homestead) in the last 15+ years.

Bad Droid likes this.
  18. Bad Droid

Bad Droid New Member

Thanks. Yeah you should definitely come down more than once every 15 years hahahha. Although I'm sure it's not as nice as you remember it. Very busy now...