Greetings from MIAMI.

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by Tony S., Dec 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tony S.

Tony S. New Member

As a (mainly) ‘radio freak” since early childhood, I can’t quite tell you how this all started, I just know it’s been too long. Worked in radio for 20+ years, addicted to the medium for much longer.

Still have my (late) grandfather’s 1980 Sanyo boombox, which I would always borrow and make mixtapes on. Many of those recordings are preserved to this day, albeit digitized.

Mainly interested nowadays in those handful of radios capable of receiving analog AM Stereo, made mostly in the 80s and 90s. Have owned/sold/traded quite a few of them, such as the legendary (mulitmode) Sony SRF-A100 mini boombox, and a number of Japan only portables I’ve owned/swapped/sold through the years. I am currently looking out for a Sony SRF-A200, which is the Australia-only AM Stereo ‘semi-twin’ of the SRF-A100.

Also interested in prototypes (of any kind—not just AM Stereo).

But most of all, always looking to learn something new about that good ol’ era when an ‘audio gadget’ was a lot more than just a big screen.

Bad Droid and Mister X like this.
  2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Stereo2go Tony S.

Tony S. likes this.
  3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I'm not sure what you will make of this then Tony

One of the early DAB radios, launched in 2004, they included far more features that modern DAB radios. including the ability to browse through programmes using an EPG (which no longer seems to be broadcast) and select programmes for recording to an SD Card. As it predates SD-HC the maximum card size is 2GBytes.

Since DAB broadcasts are compressed and digital you would think adding a record facility would be really easy yet very few DAB radios have done it. Some, like my Sony XDR-S100CDM just have a simple Pause / rewind facility.

4. Tony S.

Tony S. New Member

Nice PURE radio!! I'm digging the 'eyes' at startup on the screen.

I think a lot of it has to do with record labels/music business issues....I know here in the US, we never even had HD Radio players capable of directly recording off of radio into them, not to mention for a while they attempted to put a 'digital flag' on HD Radio, to prevent people from downright recording off of digital broadcasts. Many of the satellite radios do have that capability, though, but that's it.

As for 'added features' such as EPG on HD Radio, they have spoken about it, and in some cases you can see some stations making (limited) use of it, but nothing out of the ordinary--yet.

5. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Are there any good AM music broadcasts? Seems like AM is mostly politics, sports and religion these days.