D-150 battery solution ?

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by nev4eh8959, Jan 29, 2021.

Tags:
  1. nev4eh8959

nev4eh8959 Member

Hello people ~

With the help of this video from sjm4306 I managed to 3D print the case and the contact board for the battery for D-150 (here), yet every time I need to take the battery out to charge it with the charging board on it via USB... I was thinking if I could cut the traces of the built-in 9V socket and branch it to the charging board of the battery(charging with the 9V socket but with 5V).
    Any suggestions or ideas? I thinks it's a good idea but just wanted to make sure it's feasible...

Thanks and take care :)

2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

any standard Li-Ion 3.7V cell can be charged by D-150, as if it is the original BP-2 battery. As long as you do not leave battery inside with AC/DC adapter constantly plugged into the Discman, you can even take "smart charging" board out and use extra space for a bigger cell

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

That sounds dangerous to me. The whole idea of the charging board is to stop cells getting overcharged which can be far more catastrophic than with NiCads or NiMH

Jorge likes this.
  4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Absolutely! That is why I personally use only Li-Ion cells with protection overcharge/discharge boards already installed. Although these boards can be purchased separately, they are tiny.

There is a Mega-Thread at our sister site tapeheads.net about the dangers of rechargeables and how different folks deal with it: What To Do With The SONY BP-23 Battery Pack? I followed a few tips posted there when reviving Discman battery packs: it is easy to observe charging cycle with regulated power supply when testing different cells. Funny but the most problems I had with the 'safest' NiCd cells. For Panas/Technics battery packs I always put 40C temperature switch, BP-100/200 from Sony already have them

nev4eh8959 likes this.
  5. nev4eh8959

nev4eh8959 Member

Heyy firstly thanks for the reply !
    I was exactly thinking about this, and that's why I had the idea to keep the smart charging board and branch it to the 9V socket
    My batteries have that board, can I count on them ?

6. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

when it comes to something burning on your bedside table in the middle of the night - NO! you should not trust anything or anyone. Even SmartCharger may go bad. Although my Laptop is much smarter than me, I always disconnect it from the charger before going to bed ;) A few years ago I burned/melted my Sony D-90 by leaving BP-2 inside with an adapter constantly plugged in. Was my fault: I knew I did sloppy soldering between Li-Ion cell and BP-2 battery terminals, but since then I do not use BP-2/100/200 for my own Discmans, only external 6xAA battery packs.

I am not sure what you mean by saying: "I had the idea to ... branch it to the 9V socket". When inside D-150, BP-2 battery is connected to the Discman's 6V charging circuit, not directly to 9V DC jack. I think that by shorting 9V DC jack and batt terminals you may do some damage to the Discman

Boodokhan likes this.
  7. nev4eh8959

nev4eh8959 Member

Ohhh it sucks...

I want to bypass the built-in charging system and just connect a 5V source to the smart charging board, that is to say, cut off the traces of the socket and connect it to the board.