Question: History of the Sony WM EX2HG

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Fulltimehuman, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Fulltimehuman

Fulltimehuman Member

Hi everyone,

I recently stumbled across a mint, in-box Sony WM EX2HG and grabbed it for obvious reasons. It's a lovely little Walkman with plenty of bells and whistles and a gorgeous chrome finish. Plus, when I checked the service manual, I noticed that it seemingly does not contain a single electrolytic cap, so I'm expecting some life out of this unit!

I subsequently went online to learn more about what exactly I had bought, but was surprised to find practically – nothing... Most of the HiFi databases I know of don't list it, I could not find it in any old catalogues and haven't been able to locate its original price. It seems to be quite rare.

Aside from the fact that it came out in 1995, does anyone know more about this device? Do you know where in the line-up it was placed, medium-quality, high-end...? Do you have any information on popularity, rarity or original price? Do you have a catalogue page from the time?

Thanks!

Emiel, Machaneus and Tony S. like this.
  2. Tony S.

Tony S. New Member

For starters, I believe I’ve seen it mentioned as a “Europe only release”. There is, also, a “WM-EX1HG”, which was released the previous year to celebrate the Walkman’s 15th.....

Fulltimehuman likes this.
  3. Fulltimehuman

Fulltimehuman Member

Right, yeah. There later also was an EX3 and EX5, but the later models EX5, EX10 etc. do not seem to have been improvements in quality, but rather entirely different lines with bulky plastic casings non mechanical buttons. Interesting...

Would love to know what an EX2HG cost back then.

4. Tony S.

Tony S. New Member

Interesting (or useless?) sidenote: While the EX1/EX2 had a radio counterpart (FX1/FX2), and so did the EX5 (FX5), for some strange reason, I do not know why the EX3 doesn't have a companion "FX3".

Fulltimehuman and Machaneus like this.
  5. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

Hello friends ,
    Some information I have :
    WM EX-1 15th anniversary model , as already mentioned , record sales , went on sale in August 1 1994 price 23.500 Yen.

WM EX-2 on sale September 10 1995 , price 21.000 Yen about 165 Euros .

WM EX-3 main feature over WM EX-2 : Mega Bass , on sale in November 21 1996, the Japanese book where I gathered this info comes also with English translation , it has the remark "open price".

WM EX-5 50th Sony (company) anniversary model , on sale in November 1 1996 remark "open price" .

These were top of the line walkmans in their respective years not necessarily the most expensive as other upper class models with recording or wireless functions commanded higher prices.

Congrats @Fulltimehuman great score !

Adding the first pages of EX1 and EX2 service manuals as they have some interesting details regarding the "HG" versions .

Attached Files:

• ex1.jpg
      ex1.jpg
      File size:
      295.8 KB
      Views:
    • ex2.jpg
      ex2.jpg
      File size:
      214 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Fulltimehuman and Silver965 like this.
  6. Fulltimehuman

Fulltimehuman Member

Possibly these were only available in Asia? I see plenty on the second-hand market, but all from Japan. Never seen any of these in Europe.

7. Fulltimehuman

Fulltimehuman Member

Great, @Machaneus! That was exactly what I was looking for.

Machaneus likes this.
  8. RTB

RTB Member

Hi @Fulltimehuman
    Nice photo.

Do you have the remote / headset for this unit?
    I just bought an EX2HG but it had a wooden box :delighted:

9. Fulltimehuman

Fulltimehuman Member

@RTB Yeah, that was a special edition I think. Yes, I have the headset. It's necessary for a few things like the different DBB modes. It's nice with a large display and you can connect your own headphone, but you need the infamous Sony adapter which today is ridiculously expensive.

RTB likes this.
  10. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

SONY WALKMAN WM-EX2 black 17 Oct 2021 h1001339975
    i recently got one of these - on that date, not working of course, and it came with the extra battery case, wired display remote control, headphones.