Aiwa HS-G15 return to life

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by RetroManix, Apr 22, 2021.

1. RetroManix

RetroManix New Member

Hello, this little baby Aiwa HS-G15 bought new in London back in 1990. It was my partner in many trips with some selected cassettes those years. Left in very good condition with other loved items in a closet 20 years ago.

Now I want to return this back to life for retro-nostalgic moments and maybe for cassette rip to computer. I know that belts are gone years ago, but no life (no motor sound) when I installed fresh batteries. I hope that there is no cap problem. Does anybody has a service manual or any ideas?

Thank you.

2. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

There are a few things that need to be checked first:

- if the motor spins free when turning the pulley by hand; if no, the bushing needs lubrication (use oil)
    - if the battery contacts clean of any corrosion
    - if there is there any voltage at the motor terminals

The AN6612 motor governor IC goes bad if the unit was powered with reversed polarity, so keep that in mind. However, it can be found on ebay if that proves to be the problem.

The unit is extremely simple from what I can see in the radiomuseum pictures, it only has 2 ICs and a couple of transistors. A service manual is not necessary to repair it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    RetroManix likes this.
  3. RetroManix

RetroManix New Member

Thank you very much for your response. This is a point to start. This device has nothing to do with my other Aiwa HX-TX694 (bought new-old stock) that needs belt replacement, but is very complex to dismantle.

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Yea, it looks easy enough, I'd check voltage with the back cover off. I looked for a manual, I think it's a pretty basic model so there might not be one.

RetroManix likes this.