Sony WM-DD9 issue - both LEDs are lit, nothing works

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Gáb, Jul 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Gáb

Gáb Member

Ohh men... not looking good. It seems like the belts are oxidized. How can that happen? So far, most old belts were like oil.

Attached Files:

2. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Oh that looks pretty bad. Either it has been stored in damp and humid conditions for many years or its battery leakage. Its probably the latter. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I'd be trying to get my money refunded unless it was sold for parts.

3. givemeyourwalkmans

givemeyourwalkmans Active Member

Oh goodness. Did you buy it like that? Looks like the inside of a rotten apple! No offence of course!

If you bought it, certainly get a refund and put some aside to get a perfectly working model, that's my opinion. As Silverera showed, this model has some beautiful sound. I can't wait to own one, one day. Also as an Australian I can say there's not much else better than a good crack of Aussie guitar! @Silverera you should grab the album Frogstomp by Silverchair ;)

4. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Haha. We are on the same page there mate. Are you in MEL?. I re recorded that tape from a CD and its way better. Less boom from the bass. Plini plays here in MEL in October. I am now chasing the vinyl of Handmade Cities but its price is similar to a Walkman :(

5. givemeyourwalkmans

givemeyourwalkmans Active Member

Nah bud. I'm on the other side of the planet actually. Only been to Melbs once but it was great. I know the vinyl chase first hand, sadly some cassettes are equally hard to find... Good luck on the search!

Silverera likes this.
  6. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

What you see in your picture , is the rubber part of the Disc (Drive) , this is where the end of the motor shaft is in contact with the Disc(s) . The two belts , not shown in the picture, are above the two Discs (see attached picture) , most certainly they are far gone too .
    After cleaning the parts from the remains of the disc rubber rings and the old belts you'll need , obviously , two new belts and two new rubber rings , I believe they are available online.
    Oxidization most likely is looking worse than actually is and you'll be able to reuse the discs after thorough cleaning.
    The most dangerous part is to brake accidentally the ribbon cables while cleaning as they are very fragile and probably hardened after over 30 years of existence.

DDRUBBER.jpg

7. Gáb

Gáb Member

Thank you Machaneus... Yes, I will stay tuned As soon as I find time again, I will continue to work on it. I have already found the right spare parts. I hope I am careful enough and get everything together again. :) Fortunately, I have a service manual that describes relatively well what to do. A video with explanations would be nicer, but it will be ok :)

8. bub

bub Active Member

I bought my DD9 in that condition as well. clean off the old rubber properly and you'll be fine. You may need to sand the surface of the new flywheel tires down a little to get W/F in spec. Add a drop of synthetic 5W-30 oil to the capstan bearings and clean off the excess while you are doing so.

9. Gáb

Gáb Member

After a long time I had the pleasure to devote myself a little more to the Sony. I had to completely remove the capstan wheels and clean them with various cleaning agents and ultimately an ultrasonic bath because the rubber was locked with the brass wheels. I assume a chemical reaction. After that I was able to install the new belts and rubbers. When changing the pinch roller, I found that there was a small hairline crack in the plastic guide of the shaft of a pinch roller. I had to glue this. After I put everything back together, the DD9 ran again and everything worked as it should, except for one small thing. Unfortunately, he has some problems playing in one direction. There is also a slight click. When I play in the other direction everything is great. I will look at it again sometime.

Attached Files:

10. davide

davide New Member

Hi Gáb, I have exactly the same problem, I've not yet opened the walkman. Please can you give me some instructions to open it and tell me what I should buy and where?
    :( Thank you so much!!!!!
    Davide

11. Gáb

Gáb Member

Hi Davide, I hope I can help you. You have to change 4 rubbers. 2 rubbers on the capstan wheels and then two more (thinner). I'll send you two links for the rubbers and I'll upload the service manual for you. This gives you step-by-step instructions for disassembling. I made a note on a piece of paper at every step and stuck the components to the note with adhesive tape. I'll send you the things tonight. Greetings from Berlin. Gábor

davide likes this.
  12. Gáb

Gáb Member

1E2C3668-C447-48E9-9C49-E612EF4686FC.jpeg

davide likes this.
  13. Gáb

Gáb Member

Attached Files:

davide and Silver965 like this.
  14. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the manual

davide likes this.
  15. davide

davide New Member

T H A N K Y O U ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    I'll keep you updated!!!!!!!!!!
    You've been super super kind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wish you a wonderful week end.

Davide

16. davide

davide New Member

Hi Gáb,
    I think my situation is different. the rubbers seems to be fine. Everyting is clean inside. I think I have a problem with some electronic part.....
    I will see if I can find someone close to me that can be able to fix it.
    I'll keep you updated!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR KINDNESS!
    Have a nice week end!