Sony WM-150 Help

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Willie B., May 15, 2021.

1. Willie B.

Willie B. New Member

Hello, I recently got a new open box WM-150. Everything on it looks and sounded perfect. However after I was done listening to my cassette tape, I went to eject it and it took the playback hubs with it. Specifically the forward hub but I think the reverse was loosened as well. I'm extremely new to walkmans and know next to nothing about repairs. I'm not sure how easy or difficult of a fix this is but I figured there's no better place to ask than here. Thank you to anyone who could help.

Attached Files:

2. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Hi Willie,

What you are stating here is a common problem on this type of mechanism (it's found in other SONY models besides WM-150). The bad news is that's likely not the only problem that this unit has. A bad clutch is typical and is likely in need of replacement.
    To repair that table reel, you need to disassemble the unit and glue the internal gear to the table reel. The internal gear cracks and that's why the table reel becomes loose over time.

Being honest with you, if you know next to nothing about repairs, I wouldn't recommend attempting the repair yourself, as you can bring the unit in worse condition that it is now.
    I attached a picture with how the internals look like, th gear market "takeup" is the one that needs to be glued to the hub that's fallen out.

On this thread you can make an idea how the unit looks like inside make an asssesment yourself on how hard you would consider it.
    https://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/walkman-150-clutch-repair.628/

Attached Files:

Boodokhan likes this.
  3. Willie B.

Willie B. New Member

Hey Valentin,

Ah, I see, yeah I definitely don't trust myself to be able to do that. I guess I'll need to contact my seller and ask if he might have the knowledge for the repairs. Thank you for your time and help I really appreciate it.