pc-150jw boombox

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by moose, Jun 15, 2021.

1. moose

moose Member

I found this boombox on the side of the road this morning. Works perfectly, missing a volume knob and the antenna. Does anyone know where I can get replacements?
    boombox4.jpg boombox1.jpg boombox3.jpg boombox2.jpg

Mister X likes this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I just answered the antenna question in another thread, I get mine on ebay, if you can't find a direct replacement, measure from the post to the outer holder. Most antennas have 1/2"-3/4" of the smallest part of the shaft exposed and this should sit in the outer holder.

Nice find! You may be able to find a generic knob but it will be hard to find an exact replacement.

moose likes this.
  3. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

Maybe it is covered with a thin layer of anthrax or has a gamma-ray emitter inside? Why would someone just throw it away?

Soft touch, Dolby, nice! It does not have manual recording level control, does it?

4. Mister X

It's amazing how many people I talk to that think vintage audio is junk. Get me something new and shiny, it must be better?

Radio Raheem and Longman like this.
  5. moose

moose Member

Yeah, I'm really pumped that I managed to come across this. It had even gotten rained on and still works perfectly. Just goes to show how old technology always lasts longer

6. moose

moose Member

They're the best sounding speakers I have ever come across, it's crazy someone just put it on the side of the road.

7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Even amongst Radio Amateurs there are some who I jokingly refer to as "The knob came loose so I decided it was time to upgrade to the latest model" brigade.
    As for the knob many Boomboxes and Radios use similar ones. Getting the exact diameter (at the part you hold) might be a problem. The shaft should be a standard diameter.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    moose, Radio Raheem and Mister X like this.
  8. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy anything new. nothing lasts 5 minutes s-l1600.jpg these days...a member spent £500 twice on a panasonic dvd player and i think they broke, no new shite for me thanks....i have 3 grands worth of monitor audio speakers and i keep blowing them, just repaired them again grrr, just bought some kef concerto speakers from 1971 and they rival the monito audio with ease and only cost £200

Mister X likes this.
  9. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

You can buy new that will last, you just need to do your research and buy wisely.

10. Radio Raheem

I'm afraid nothing will convince me of that my friend unless i spend 100k on a mackintosh which is like 30 years of my money lol

11. TooCooL4

McIntosh are built to last. I guess a lot of people like them, but for me I would not have one if you gave it to me for free. :tongue:

Radio Raheem likes this.
  12. Radio Raheem

I just had my pioneer sa 8800,s recapped i guess they will last another 30 years....i have shite loads of speakers and amps, i don't need anything new anyway lol, the only amp i would like now is the pioneer sa 9800 as it is dual mono like my other amps lad

13. TooCooL4

Stop playing your music so loud and you will stop blowing up your speakers or at least back off when you hear distortions :nwink:. I know you are a bass head Radio Raheem :loldiag:.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  14. Mister X

I didn't mean anything bad about new equipment, there's a ton of cool new stuff I'd gladly try but you normally have to spend a lot of money to get to that quality. Vintage was the same, the TOTL monster recievers were super-expensive in the late 70's and they weren't even the pinnicle. Those KEF's are beautiful, I love the cabinets, and what's the deal with the oval driver?

I have a few of the big three-piece JVC's, most of these define what a three-piece should be and I'm not surprised the speakers sound good, they usually weigh pretty heavy. Curb finds are the best, we used to have once a month junk pick-up and there would be so much cool stuff being thrown out. I used to be friends with a professional curb picker and he had two garages full of stuff he found, not junk but amazingly cool stuff. I bought a ton of audio from him, my Nak RX-202, Marantz 2100 and more, he had more fun finding stuff then selling so space was an issue. Surprisingly he never had boomboxes or Walkmans.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  15. Radio Raheem

Thanks Mr x....i have had dozens of speakers over the years and i think these kef are the best i have had, i had the same speakers back in the 90's but only one worked they were to far gone...i had them on a cheap jvc amp back then, i also had a £1000 aiwa back then and let me tell you the jvc and kefs made the aiwa sound like a mono radio....im not sure about the driver my friend but it is suspended on thick rubber, kef made many more like this but the driver you see in most of the others was a passive radiator, not keen on those as they basically do nothing to ad to the sound...one thing i would love to know mr x..how much were kef concerto speakers back in 1971, christ i was only 1 and these are still working flawless///they were actually first made in 1969

tocool i basically blew the monitor audio tweeters only last week, only powered by a 60w p/c amp, i really don't know what the deal is with them as they are rated at 200w but we all know this isn't the case...and no i don't play distorted music lad i hate distortion

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  16. TooCooL4

Hey Radio Raheem, under powered amps blow speakers up more than overpowered ones. If the amp is clipping due to underpower that will do it too.
    Anything could be going on if you have blown the same speaker a few times, you may need to have your equipment checked out to track down the source of the issue.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  17. Radio Raheem

good morning lad, i have had these on several amps my friend with the same result, i actually had another pair of monitor audio that were stolen and they also blew a few times but those are out of my hair now...........it could be faulty crossovers but monitor audio want £130 each for those.........you should see my blown tweeter collection from these flipping things lol
    i never have the amp over half volume with them now

18. TooCooL4

So do you think, it's something to do with the actual speakers themselves?

19. Radio Raheem

like i said all it can be is faulty crossovers im not sure what else it can be, at £130 each the tweeters are not cheap, i would like to sell them but i can't do that knowing that the next guy might end up with the same issue.....there are a pair of tweeters on ebay of the 8 grand pair that are blown so it seems like a common issue

20. TooCooL4

Silly question but if it's a common issue, have you looked around on the internet to see if anyone has a workaround or a fix for the issue?