Bring Me The Mini's...The Quintessential Collection!

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Mister X, Apr 5, 2020.

1. rupi99

rupi99 Active Member

General Electric 3-6025A is really nice looking. Do you have a picture, showing the buttons on top?

2. rupi99

rupi99 Active Member

3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Here's both Rupi99, I corrected the model number on the first boomer, its a GE 3-5285A. I was looking at some of the other models and one has a tag for the music search system, bascially it skips 1-3 songs, pretty impressive. If you look at the other models you can see all of the buttons, I'd love to hear the design meetings, "We need more buttons! The kids love buttons!"

DSC_1383sm.jpg
    DSC_1384sm.jpg

4. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

They missed a chance to add one more button - they combined stop and eject.

Mister X likes this.
  5. rupi99

rupi99 Active Member

Out of curiosity I made a short comparison between old Mini and a brand new one - Sanyo M-S350LE vs. Soundmaster SRR70TI. "Soundmaster" is a brand of a German company, that offers severel audio products. The design from the Soundmaster is obviously from the Sanyo.
    Advantage of the new Mini is DAB+, FM with RDS, SD and USB slot, Bluetooth. Advantage of the Sanyo is clearly the sound. It is clear, that such Minis cannot have a high quality sound, but the difference between them is clearly discoverable. The "Bass" controller from Soundmaster has almost no effect, whereas the "Tone" controller at the Sanyo has it.

Sanyo vs. Soundmaster 3.jpg

Sanyo vs. Soundmaster 5.jpg

CDV and Mister X like this.
  6. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

This is my fav shape, size and style!

nickeccles and Mister X like this.
  7. rupi99

rupi99 Active Member

Another Mini arrival - the famous SONY CFS-10. Small, but heavy piece.
    http://wikiboombox.com/tiki-index.php?page=Sony+CFS-10

As almost every of them with rotten speaker foams. Had to search a lot to find some that fit. They don't have a very common size.
    CFS-10 a.jpg

CFS-10 b.jpg

CFS-10 c.jpg

Now it plays again

CFS-10 d.jpg

8. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

My General Electric 3-5285A - Bought this from the states last year after falling in love with it on eBay lol!

It's dual voltage too so a real bonus! These are real quality units build wise & they sound pretty good too! Everything is of above average build with this model & others! A flat drive belt drives a decent weighty flywheel & stable playback is achieved!

They look real nice too & have bass & treble controls.......... General Electric 3-5285A Stereo Radio Recorder - August 2020 (23).jpg

9. j-c

j-c New Member

Bless this thread. Knowing the Sanyo M1760F and Sony CFS-11P are going to be hard to find, this is helping me make more sense of the mini market, for a potential purchase. Thank you, everybody.

Mister X likes this.
  10. j-c

j-c New Member

This one is fun, and I'm totally unfamiliar with it. Any thoughts?

11. Mister X

Some of the manufacturers had interesting versions of mini tape players but I rarely saw these over here unless they were crappy Yorx or Soundesign Versions. For a little kid it would make a great bedside tape player.

j-c likes this.
  12. j-c

j-c New Member

Indeed. I'm looking for a desk application. In all honesty, I can't really have music loud, so a fairly lo-fi output doesn't bug me too much.

13. Mister X

I was really impressed by Cambridge Soundworks Model 11 (or 12) Suitcase Boombox, it sounds really nice for it's size but the bass speaker/suitcase is kind of large. If you could get the amp and smaller speakers you could hook it up to a Walkman for really nice sound.

14. rupi99

rupi99 Active Member

Yes, CFS-11P is also a nice unusual mini from Sony.
    01a - Kopie.jpg

CFS11P.jpg

nickeccles and j-c like this.
  15. j-c

j-c New Member

A looker to be sure. Rupi99, are you familiar with any other kind of "unusual" boxy/tower shaped systems?

16. rupi99

rupi99 Active Member

17. j-c

j-c New Member

Couldn't help myself.

The Porto-Player does nothing with its size and sounds pretty tinny. But hey, this is all in good fun.

More are on the way.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Mister X likes this.
  18. Mister X

Panasonic RX-F11 with dual cassette goodness! There's something magical about this little guy, it's wide and all of the rounded features look great without being too much. These decks have some heft to them, even though they look like they could be entry-level they have some nice features like mixing mic and AUX in. I think the piano keys are metal and they have a nice solid mechanical movement and the tuner pulls in a ton of stations, better then some of my component tuners.

DSC_1533sm.jpg
    DSC_1534sm.jpg

nickeccles likes this.
  19. Mister X

The little brother is the Panasonic RX-F3, this is printed with a big F3 on the front and is a great desk unit. These don't sound great loud but 1/2 way up they project a nice sound and come with nice tuners. Both of these are equiped with "AMBIENCE" Mode, Panasonic's extended stereo separation.

DSC_1536sm.jpg
    DSC_1539sm.jpg

Radio Raheem and nickeccles like this.
  20. Mister X

I scored this BIN on a late night research trip for beer & boomboxes, the Sanyo M7880K and it looks like it's been loved it's whole life. What I really love about it is it looks like a miniature boombox, everything is small on it. My afternoon treat is a crunchy corn treat, they kind of grow on you once you have one.

DSC_1545sm.jpg