Usb boombox with useful display

Discussion in 'Portable Stereos of Today & Tomorrow' started by MrCaution, Jul 12, 2021.

1. MrCaution

MrCaution New Member

I’m taking a trip to my aunts house for a week on the Eastern shore of Maryland. I have been trying to find a portable audio player that will accept and play MP3 audio from a stick or HDD. My issue is I can’t find any that will daisplay folder/track names. Obviously It must sound good as well as have line input ,playing CDs and tapes are not necessary, but would be a bonus. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

C.

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I use my ION Jobrocker a lot, bluetooth from a phone, it has a huge battery and will play for hours, there is no display. ION has a bunch of portable options but the "boomboxes" look like crap, Techmoan reviewed the nice one and I lost all interest in getting it but the larger speaker boxes are much nicer. I've got a ton of old phones so it's no problem using them for this instead of phone calls.

MrCaution likes this.
  3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

They obviously don't think there is a big enough market for such an item. I get the impression that nowadays most people budget £500+ (or more likely £50 a month) for their phone, and £50 for a Bluetooth speaker. Regarding Bluetooth be aware that their are different versions with the latest ones offering lossless quality. If you have lots of money to spend the latest Sony Walkmans e.g. NW-A100 are an alternative to a phone. The older NW-A25 which I also have has Bluetooth and more of a traditional button operated interface.

How do you have your music stored at the moment? That to me has always been the difficult part. All my CDs are stored as wav files in a computer using Windows Media Center. Unless I get a 1TB microSD card for one of the Walkmans I would have to use something more efficient on them.

MrCaution likes this.
  4. MrCaution

MrCaution New Member

Thanks for the replies, I had an iPhone X with 256 gig storage that crapped the bed about 6 months ago . It was a great phone , and perfect for the job, but I dropped a blob of solder on the corner of the screen, Black Death crept slowly diagonally down until one day the screen became unresponsive. The coof kept my business closed for 4 months last year so I couldn’t afford to replace it. I recently traded a repeat client some work for an XS Max in great condition, only problem with the phone 16 gig storage. I have a WD 1TB pocket drive with almost 200 gigs of MP3s on it, was just hoping to find a quick and dirty solution. I have seen the Sony ZSRS60BT that will do everything I need, as well as a Panasonic RX-D55GCK that seems elusive in the US , but not the rest of the world. I’m not sure if either will display folder/track/song info though.

5. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

I have a Moto G Power that uses a 512Gb micro card as this is my first phone to have stereo speakers. I also have a Moto E5 plus but sadly no stereo sound but work very well. my home phone is a Moto e4. and my cel-phone is a Samsung galaxy S7. Ok that is 4. 6 laptop, 2 desktop 20 tb + 4 tb on the other an am off track now. ok nuff said.