Sony cfs-d10 Dodecahorn

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Jaysucks1666, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Jaysucks1666

Jaysucks1666 New Member

F01011EF-C306-4F19-8EE4-3C4B97B366D1.jpeg Hello , I came across this boombox at a local thrift store. Can anyone tell me what Dodecahorn is exactly? What it has to do with Sony? Is it more valuable then the mega bass ( I think that is what the other models name is ) I cannot find any others like it . Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Jaysucks1666

Jaysucks1666 New Member

3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

The Japanese love goofy names and the DoDeCaHorn is no exception. It's just another line of boomboxes they put out in 1986. I don't know much about these boxes but yours looks like it was a Japanese Market Boombox with the FM scale you have. The label on the back is probably in Japanese and, if there is a wall cord, it's only 100 volts. The Mulitplex TV Sound is super-rare over here and pretty neat, if I understand it correctly you tune the dial into your TV station (this doesn't work anymore but you might be able to rig up a digital decoder) and you get a stereo broadcast for some programs. Most old TV sets were mono but you could use this boombox to get a show in stereo. If I remember correctly they might have a "big" show on TV that was also broadcast in stereo but they were kind of rare, at least in the 80's.

I looks like they came with some cool accessories, is that a subwoofer? I take out two digits to get the price in USD so this was around $358.00 USD when new, definately not cheap.

DntTdj3U4AElzt5.jpg

Jaysucks1666 likes this.
  4. Jaysucks1666

Jaysucks1666 New Member

Hey Mister X, thank you for that info!! It is very much appreciated snd informative. Thank you!

Mister X likes this.
  5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I was checking out the EQ and there's a "DODECA ZONE" at the lower end, I think most of these boxes had some internal sound horn channels that must have given the bass some extra boom. Some of the other photos show cutaway drawings with the exposed horn. Sony might have been the first to do this, The Bose Wave Radio was wildly popular over here and I've seen it on late 90's boomboxes from other manufacturers.

These are pretty rare outside of Japan but it sounds like the Mega-Bass was the USA Version. I don't have either but I look for a Mega-Bass every once in awhile.

6. Jaysucks1666

Jaysucks1666 New Member

Really ? That is cool! Honestly it does sound really really good for its age and besides the one knob on the top missing it is in really really good condition . I will try and upload a short video .

7. Jaysucks1666

Jaysucks1666 New Member

8. Jaysucks1666

Jaysucks1666 New Member

Apparently I can not add a video. I apologize

9. rupi99

rupi99 Active Member

Here is a thread with some more "DoDeCaHorn's"
    https://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/sony-dodecahorn-boomboxes.6266/
    They have a separate subwoofer on the backside and an internal "tunnel" for bass reflex.

10. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Superb mod....great skill.....jvc made many like this known as the hyper bass system in fact most manufacturers were using this system under different names in the 90's....just a simple bass chamber with a small speaker installed...great work...the biggest one i have seen to date is the jvc pc x 1000....i think the original manufacturer may have been Bose, but you paid a premium using there system though