Old Computers [PREV] Not your conventional cassette player..

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by Chris, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

It's nice to see the old computers getting some props, forever the question was how to properly dispose of them, there were so many out there.

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

In this thread http://www.stereo2go.com/forums/threads/beer-and-boomboxes.2111/page-13

I had never even heard of that machine. It sounds as if it predated the Amiga.

A strange, but true fact, was that the Amiga was designed by ex Atari engineers; a team headed up by Jay Miner who had designed the Atari 2600 console then the 400 & 800 computers.,
    while the Atari ST was designed by ex Commodore engineers headed up by former Commodore founder and boss Jack Tramiel.

I guess they might have thought that the Amiga had better prospects. Something mentioned in an article on the Video toaster was that the local TV access @Mister X was what Waynes World was based on.

Something his comments prove is how different things were in different counties. I think I have only seen one Apple II outside of a museum and that was in the early 1980s at work where they would happily spend £30000 on a CAD (Computer Aided Design) system so there was no problem spending £900 on a computer to evaluate.

In the UK ARM designer Acorn computers owed most of their success to be chosen for the BBC computer contract and consequently that computer and it's follow ons ending up in 90% of schools. I am sure I have posted it before, but this is an amusing Docudrame of how they won the contract.

As Clive Sinclair says looking at American machines "Why so expensive". Only Commodore broke that rule and was very successful in the UK.

Fast forwarding to 1990 lets see what was in the Gratten Catalogue with its easy repayments

1990 Grattan computers 1.pdf.jpeg
    Leading the pack the Amiga 500. This is what every game playing kid wanted for Christmas.
    If you were skint maybe a Commodore 64 with a pack of games would do.
    1990 Grattan computers2.pdf.jpeg
    On to two entirely different offerings from Amstrad. The Spectrum was such a success in the home market they bought the design from Sinclair and enhanced it with the built in cassette, proper keyboard, and in this pack a light gun. Below that their own, earlier offering. Alan Sugar came up with the idea of including the monitor so the package contained everything you needed. No interrupting Mum watching Coronation Street so you could play a game. If you got fed up with the computer you could buy a TV tuner to turn the monitor into a TV.

1990 Grattan computers 3.pdf.jpeg
    Finally for the small business owner or author, Europe's best selling PC also from Amstrad (branded Schneider in Germany).
    Can't afford that? The Amstrad Word Processor package includes everything you need for desktop publishing including the printer.
    Running CPM it can do lots of other business type stuff like spreadsheets and even play games in Black and Green.

Apple Macintosh ? Back in 1990 the top managers at work had them on their desks to show their status. That was the only place I saw them.
    I recall seeing in a computer magazine that an HD floppy drive upgrade for a Mac was about £360 while the equivalent drive for a PC was about £60!
    £300 extra so you could eject a floppy without having to press a button !
    The engineers had to make do with HP PCs.
    I have no idea what happened to all the Management Macs. By the late nineties they were being switched to PCs and whinging about them.
    At least one of the original HP 286 PCs is still in a colleagues lab in case they ever need to update some CPLDs that were designed using it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  3. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

Longman likes this.
  4. Longman

Back then lots of companies were after the lucrative Workstation market.

This was Atari's offering
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Transputer_Workstation

In the early 1990s they bought some HP Apollo Workstations https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Computer , at work only for Mentor Graphics (whose PCB design software we were using on them) to drop support for that platform about a year later. Maybe a good thing as they had the dimmest displays I have ever seen on a computer.

Then it was over to Sun Workstations which they kept for many years.

Nowadays a standard PC is adequate while a mid range gaming PC would be overkill.
    Engineers design things like aircraft using PCs. Gamers complain that the explosion isn't realistic when they crash the plane in their flight sim.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  5. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

the crazy thing is longman a ps5 is just as powerful as a high end pc....the pc i sold a few weeks ago cost 8 grand about 4 years ago and now would only just about run games, in a way im glad im finished with pc's there obsolete before you buy them or build them in my case lad

6. Mister X

I love that guys went around to try and find the C900 Parts, that's the stuff of legends. Minnesota at one time was the "Silicone Valley of the Midwest" with a ton of companies up here, I moved here right when most of the industry was leaving or going off-shore. Here's a cool website that has some history information for the computer geeks, hosted at our local university. Little did I know that "Gopher" was from up here, when I was very young, somebody gave me a printer terminal (no screen, just print-out), we had a ton of fun logging into our local university, one of the connections was "Gopher."

We still have Seagate (hardrives) and Hutchinson Technologies (hardrive read arms) here and a couple chip makers but most of the other companies packed up and left. In old jobs I used to sell equipment to them and loved any opportunity to see the production lines. One of the biggest companies is/was Cray (supercomputer), they still have some building around town but I don't know if they do any manufacturing here.
    http://www.cbi.umn.edu/resources/MHHC/index.html

Radio, I love building my own computers, mine is about six years old but it still cranks along. I think you meant it works great for everything but games? I'm going to build a new one this winter when I have some free time, I don't game on it but when I'm putting together some of the threads, I like having some of the memory intensive programs going.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  7. Longman

What you have to realise with Games consoles is that they are sold at cost, or even a loss, since the profit is made on the games (the console manufacturer gets a cut even if a different company writes a game). While development costs are high a system lasts far longer than a PC, and consoles like the Playstations sell millions.
    In the early 1990s I bought three of these Control Data drives at work, except they were labelled Seagate, who had just taken over Control Data.
    http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/cdc/discs/brochures/CDC_9715_FSD_Brochure_Feb86.pdf
    The brochure has the Control Data address as Minneapolis on the back.
    The ones I bought cost about £3000 (about 3 months wages) each back then and we had a next day repair contract on them costing about £1000 a year. As I pointed out in a customer presentation if you were lucky enough to have a 40MByte drive in your PC you would have to partition it into two drives as the maximum drive size supported by DOS was 32MBytes. These were cutting edge back in the 1980s.

You got your moneys worth weight wise at 36KG (81lb) including the power supply. A colleague once decided he could carry one from one building to another. He managed but had to sit down for ten minutes to recover having done so.

Mister X likes this.
  8. Mister X

Those early hard drives were so huge, at my old company, the salesguy that called on Control Data used to live on that one account. They'd buy some really cool pumps/piping/tank units that were used for cooling. I don't know if it was for production or for finshed product but I saw photos of hundreds of units about the 1/2 the size of a refrigerator. The old plant was bought by Honeywell but sold off around 2005 and bulldozed and turned into a shopping mall. Honeywell for the most part has left the area but still has several facilities scattered around town.

I've kept most of my old hard drives, it's cool, with a USB to IDE/Sata I can read all of the data on them, pretty impressive since the oldest drive is from 1997 but it's so small, it's basically Windows and a few old programs, no photos or music like these days.

Radio Raheem likes this.
  9. Longman

In addition to the 9715 drives I bought there were already four 9766 units that I also arranged the maintenance contracts for
    http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/cdc/discs/brochures/CDC_976x_Brochure_Mar77.pdf We nicknamed those "Tumble Dryers" as they were about the same size and used a similar amount of power. We always ran them off 240V 13A sockets (the standard here in the UK) so I was rather surprised looking at a specification to see "start up current 16A". I guess the 16A was only for the first half second or so. The maintenance contract on those was used more often. At the bottom or the drive there was a brake to stop the (removable) platters spinning for tens of minutes when you wound down the drive. On two occasions the brake didn't release properly resulting in the large motor driving against the brake and smoke pouring out of the drive when someone tried to spin it up !

In everyday use, one software engineer who could tell where his software had got to just by watching the vibrations on the drive. The head assembly must have weighed several lbs so at it moved back and forth the drive would move slightly on its castors.

The 9766 drives were 300MBytes. A different project was using 80MByte drives from the same family. The last I saw of those was the site maintenance guy, pushing them one by one into a skip when that project ended. I think the same happened to the 9766s a few years later as the project started using these https://www.arraid.com/data-storage-products/product/aem-1.html
    made in Arizona and about the same price as the 9715s.

Mister X likes this.
  10. Mister X

Pumps, which are basically just a huge motor and an impeller are the same, they need a little extra amperage at startup, once everything is spinning things are good and they draw a fraction of the amps. I love that old equipment but some of it is huge, there's a guy on YouTube that saved a bunch of terminals and has a mini-museum. Youngsters don't know most of that was metal enclosures with really heavy electronics on the inside. Good luck moving equipment around, most of it stayed where you left it.

11. Gonçalo Dumas

Gonçalo Dumas Member

Retrocomputing has been a hobby since the mid-2000s.
    It's a cheaper hobby rather than Hi-Fi collecting, or at least it was...
    I have a significant collection, and logistics are growing to the occasion - at least storage wise.
    Here are some of my devices.

IMG_20190921_185324.jpg IMG_20190921_185510.jpg IMG_20190921_185751.jpg IMG_20190921_190438.jpg IMG_20190921_202410.jpg IMG_20190921_203041.jpg IMG_20190921_203149.jpg IMG_20190921_203723.jpg IMG_20190921_203900.jpg IMG_20190921_204228.jpg IMG_20190921_205402.jpg IMG_20190921_205640.jpg IMG_20190921_210306.jpg IMG_20191111_221118.jpg IMG_20200111_083913.jpg IMG_20200111_152732.jpg

12. Mister X

Very nice equipment, what is the little one with the watch? I feel like I watched a YouTube video on it last year.

13. Longman

Rest In Peace (or busy doing calculations) Clive Sinclair, the man behind the first computer in this thread (although I realise that one was made by Amstrad)
    https://www.aol.co.uk/news/home-computer-pioneer-sir-clive-194114560.html

I was surprised to read he was only 81. Even back in the early 1970s he was a household name with all his gadgets (like stereo amplifiers and calculator kits) being advertised in hobbyist electronics magazines.

Gonçalo Dumas and Emiel like this.
  14. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Don’t tell me you haven’t watched Colin’s last video about vintage Apple computers yet?
    Just a quick one, it means 18 minutes of nostalgia.

15. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

MSX was a relatively popular standard around the world in 1980s. This is a Yamaha YIS-503.

[​IMG]

Sometime around 1985, Soviet Ministry of Education ordered several thousand of them for school computer classes. The machines had built-in network adapter and could be connected in a network with 5-pin DIN cables. One computer in every set was the "main" teacher's computer with color monitor, all pupils' computers had monochrome monitors. Only the teacher's computer had a floppy drive connected. It was possible to send a program from one computer to another: you switch receiving computer(s) in LOAD mode, and do SEND on the originating computer. This is how a teacher would send a particular program to all of the pupils simultaneously. This is also how a teacher would receive a program from students' computers one by one. It was a nice, very well designed system. This was the first personal computer I've seen, and a 3.5-in floppy was the first floppy I've seen. This is when I started learning assembly language. We got xeroxed copies of Z80 ASM as well of Basic and Pascal. Of course, no one made a game anywhere near the quality of Konami game.

Z80 CPU, three audio channels plus an audio effects channel. Great machines for music and for gaming. A 16KB game was richer than a 200K PC game, in particular thanks for hardware sprite support.

Feel free to run Google Translate on a Russian Wikipedia page about these machines :) The wiki page says there were 9 pupil machines per set, but I bet there were 15 of them, with a teacher's computer that would make 16. I think, network ID was a 4-bit number, this is why.

Good memories. Thanks, Yamaha!

[​IMG]

I think the black version looks better than a silver one. I especially liked the arrow key arrangement, great for gaming, when you need to press two arrows simultaneously for moving diagonally. After this, seeing a standard PC keyboard with inverse "T" was like, what kind of crap is that? Apple re-designed keys to have the same arrangement for its 4th get MBP, but I think they are moving to inverse "T" again. Too bad.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    autoreverser and Mister X like this.
  16. Longman

A Toshiba HX10 MSX was my third computer, the first being a ZX81 and the second a TI99/4A which I didn't keep long. MSX was just about popular enough to support one magazine and a range of games that were mainly Spectrum ports. Toshiba even advertised them on TV.

The price at the end was very good value compared to the Spectrum or C64 but they had the momentum with Games and Accessories.
    I am envious of your (?) floppy drive. In 1986 those were over twice the price of an MSX computer.

Sony sold their MSX computers for a while in their Sony Centres. The Yamaha MSX was only really sold by music shops in the form of the CX5M which would be bundled with the SFG01 (DX9 in a cartridge) and music applications like their DX7 editor.

Seeing you had commented on the thread I was expecting you to have commented on Clive Sincliar's Spectrum which was cloned and taken further by Soviet companies/enthusiasts than either he or Alan Sugar took it.

IMHO one of RMCs best videos.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Mister X likes this.
  17. Gonçalo Dumas

Gonçalo Dumas Member

Rest in peace indeed. :emoji_cry:

18. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

No, this is someone selling it on a Russian auction. As I said, only the teacher's machine had an attached floppy drive and a larger color monitor. A single 3.5-inch floppy disk would cost about 1/6 of an average monthly salary; I had one.
    I don't know anything on the topic. Embarrasement of the riches of sorts. My school received the Yamahas when I was in 9th grade, but I first saw them and did some programming a year earlier in a computer club. These seemed to me much better designed than Spectrum clones. I could have access to them pretty much anytime I wanted, so I did not want to get my own Spectrum clone. Also, I saw my first IBM PC at that time, and clearly this was the future for business-oriented computers, and they were developing much faster.

I saw the schematics in the Radio magazine, but I don't know jack about electronics (aside of conceptual level of registers and logic gates), and the standard school physics course did not include electronics, only E&M came the closest. And I haven't studied electronics in college.

19. Longman

In the U.K. the standard computer bought by schools was the BBC Micro which could similarly be connected via a computer specific network. However,
    the computers started at about £400 which we have determined was a bit more than a JVC M90. I have joked on Youtube that the only people who bought them privately were people like my boss who seemed to think that doing so would guarantee his children a place at Oxbridge (Oxford or Cambridge University).

As Neil said, while widely acknowledged as being a bit rubbish, the Spectrum was the right computer at the right price at the time in the U.K. costing 1/3rd of the price of the BBC and about the same as the portable colour TV most people would end up buying to use it with. The Sinclair ZX81 from a year earlier was even worse, but significantly cheaper. When The 8 Bit Guy started criticising it in one of his videos, the famous Video Game Designer, Jeff Minter came in to the comments to explain the difference between a computer you were lucky to get an hour a week on at school, and your own computer (no matter how limited) which you could play with for as long as you wanted to.

Having bought it I must watch this one day

It wasn't much different in the U.K. Going through some old minutes of the Ham Radio Club I was once secretary of, I found that in the mid-1980s that years project had been to use both the companies discount and a bulk buy discount to get the price of bare 5 1/4" Floppy Drive mechanisms down to about £130 each, which would have bought you a Spectrum back then.

Gonçalo Dumas and Mister X like this.
  20. Mister X

We had a handful of Apple II's but there was no networking, that would have been amazing, our networking was dial-up and the receiving computer usually only had one line unless you went to the mainframe at the colleges. School computers never had modems, there was always a stray terminal around if you needed to access something bigger.

I don't know why the MSX computers never had a foothold here, Sinclair was one of the only non-USA Brands, not counting the little calculator/computers. Those Yamahas look really neat, there's some vintage MSX Magazines on archive.org if you want to check out some of the equipment.

Since Longman listed his, I'll list mine.....

A terminal with built in monitor and a terminal with paper only and a built in modem, the kind where the phone head-set sat in the round cushions. My dad got these "cast-offs" from work, luckily he also got boxes of thermal paper which was very expensive new.
    Timex Sinclair ZX-81, great computer for learning basic, that 16K RAM Pack kept falling off!
    Apple II+, the expansion slots were amazing, setting the bar for future computers
    IBM PC, pre-pentium late 80's model. Built like a tank, mostly metal, great for writing papers, games stunk on the green screen.
    MacIntosh, first generation, the graphics and printing were amazing, it changed the print and graphics industry overnight.
    Then I moved to PC clones and have stuck with them.

Longman likes this.