Bring Me The Mini's...The Quintessential Collection!

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Mister X, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Xenon4U2C

Xenon4U2C New Member

They aren't the bottom of the barrel, there were much worse. Plus both those companies made significant contributions to the culture of vintage audio.
    My very first mini portable tape cassette radio was a YORX and it served it's purpose quite well.

Mister X likes this.
  2. Xenon4U2C

Xenon4U2C New Member

That Sanyo M7880K !!!
    What a wonderful little unit, look at all the features packed into it !! Wow
    Metal Tape & CrO2 , EQ preset boost and cut, Music Search, Dual headphones, Mic Mixer, VU meter ....
    Just Awesome. I got to get me one.

Mister X likes this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I got lucky, home late after men's league hockey, just doing a little surfing and it was a new BIN for a great price. They are amazing, it's really a 3/4 size boombox, I wish they had made more like this. I don't know how many boomers you have but they are still out there if you keep your eyes open, I just saw a really nice 70's AIWA at the local flea market, it went for $5 USD, the guy left it to get money, I offered $10 but he wouldn't let it go. I tried to find the guy that bought it to triple his money but he left quickly.

4. Mister X

Another cool oddball, the Panasonic RX-D30, this is a cool boomer and substantially heavy. Cassette2go reviews it on his YouTube Channel, of course when I got mine I searched and he has two of everything including this little beast. I think the buttons and knobs are all metal, they sure feel like it. On the left side top you can see MIC and Headphone jacks with plastic plugs. There's L + R MIC and also a "mixing MIC" jack with monitor, this must have been for a little home studio or dubbing cassettes and adding some vocals. I didn't plug it in but it has several LED's including level control.

DSC_160sm.jpg

nickeccles likes this.
  5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

MIC mixing is usually to related to the Japanese enthusiasm for Karaoke.

Mister X likes this.
  6. Mister X

Some of the 70's boomboxes were also sold as mini-studios, you could mic in your guitar, sing along and tape the whole thing, this one seems to carry on that tradition but your right, karaoke seems to have taken over the mic jack in later years. The "TWIN Cassette" is interesting, this must have come out around the same time as the Sharp "TWIN CAMS" and maybe was a copy of that, or vice-versa.

7. Xenon4U2C

Xenon4U2C New Member

Three from my stash .....
    First up, MTC MS-2800G ...

DSC05749.JPG

DSC05751.JPG

DSC05752.JPG

DSC05753.JPG
    Second Up, ULTRA RARE ! Yorx K3688
    My Very First Portable Radio .... XD

DSC05756.JPG

DSC05757.JPG

DSC05758.JPG

Last up, A Panasonic RX-C50
    DSC05762.JPG

DSC05760.JPG

DSC05763.JPG

Radio Raheem, CDV, allan1836 and 2 others like this.
  8. ianthepostie

ianthepostie Active Member

That MTC one looks very Sanyo-ish!

nickeccles likes this.
  9. allan1836

allan1836 New Member

My Panasonic RX-C50 sounds wonderful for a mini compo. Very refined and full sounding in my opinion.

nickeccles and Mister X like this.
  10. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Never should have sold this Grundig, it was quite pretty. Manual FM presets too!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    nickeccles, j-c and Mister X like this.
  11. Mister X

Now that's bitchin! Sweet box Reli, never seen one before but it's totally 80's.

12. Longman

Mister X likes this.
  13. Xenon4U2C

Xenon4U2C New Member

Ya, that GRUNDIG is a cool little unit, not a fan of the pastel coloring but nice features for the size, the one on eBay looks
    a little rough but I noticed that it also has RCA inputs and outputs that the YouTube video failed to show us.
    I like units like this, that pack in the extras. XD

Mister X likes this.
  14. Mister X

The color and some of the 80's design cues are hideous but at the same time priceless. It sure didn't age well, those colors were so hot for a few years and now they're similar to the orange and green shades of the early 70's, they just never come back in style.

nickeccles likes this.
  15. Mister X

I'm a huge fan of the Sony WA Series, this one has seven bands of radio listening goodness, the Sony WA-5000. There is a speaker on the back so this is almost a true boombox, just no handle. Who knows what Sony was thinking when they released these larger than normal cassette players?

DSC_1607sm.jpg

16. Longman

At least it gave the designers something to think about and do, Can you imagine the people doing the styling at an electronics company these days "for the latest phone the engineers have worked out how to make the notch 1mm smaller and the camera lens 1mm bigger so we want you to restyle the case to accommodate those changes".

These shortwave sets were aimed at international travellers, as were the many international transmissions like the Voice of America and BBC World Service. When they came out the only way a traveller could find out what was going on in their own country was to tune into the appropriate station or, if they were somewhere like London pay a lot of money for two day old newspaper from their own country.

Mister X likes this.
  17. CDV

CDV Well-Known Member

What features? Four FM presets? Does it actually have four separate LC circuits? Otherwise, no tape type selector, no Dolby. Yep, it does have line in, I suppose this was customary for European boomboxes (and for every Russian boombox, because it could be just the ONLY tape recorder in a house). My Sanyo M7750 and M7770 have a full complement of inputs and outputs, which I think is a rare feature for a small Japanese boombox. They also have tape type selector. Too bad, they don't have Dolby. And of course, they have automatic recording level control.

I don't mind pastel color by itself, but the overall combination of button colors makes it look like a cheap toy. I did not expect this from Grundig. At least it is not all made from the same matte black plastic, like cheap stuff from mid-1990s onwards.

Here is a more, um, traditional style. I like it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Mister X and Jorge like this.
  18. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

The Grundig has inputs and outputs, and 4 speakers with some rather soft-edged woofers that provide better low-volume bass than the vast majority of minis. As for Dolby and a tape type selector, I don't think those features are worth it unless the tape deck is VERY good quality, which this isn't.

nickeccles likes this.
  19. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Just arrived last week!!

Paid £3 for it too! What a beauty & built like a tank!

In pristine condition - I never saw one of these before either..... Hitachi TRK-3540EX Radio Recorder - November 2021 (1).jpg Hitachi TRK-3540EX Radio Recorder - November 2021 (3).jpg Hitachi TRK-3540EX Radio Recorder - November 2021 (4).jpg Hitachi TRK-3540EX Radio Recorder - November 2021 (5).jpg Hitachi TRK-3540EX Radio Recorder - November 2021 (6).jpg

Mister X, j-c, Jorge and 1 other person like this.
  20. Longman

nickeccles likes this.