More speakers, wanted these for over 30 years, mission 705

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by Radio Raheem, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

allan1836, Jorge and Mister X like this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Let us know how they sound, I bet you have the equipment to bi-amp them!

Jorge and Radio Raheem like this.
  3. Radio Raheem

my gear is far to old to bi amp them Mr x but i can run them no problem

there was a new fellow that just posted a pair of mission on the forum a few days ago. it's thanks to his post i found these

my main xmas present to myself, not sure where i am going to place them, reviews said need large room and 250w p/c amp

my amp is only 100w p/c but i bet it's better than most amps today lol

Mister X and Jorge like this.
  4. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

We know you have enough Amps and graphic equalisers to Bi-amp them. All Bi-amp ing means is that one amplifier does the Bass and a different
    one does the treble. Thinking about it they must still have filtering in the speakers otherwise you wouldn't be able to link the inputs like that.

I believe the Panasonic Bi Amp systems did all the filtering before the amps, thus doing away with the expensive and lossy cross-over circuit you normally get in two way speakers.

p.s If they are a Christmas present make sure you don't blow them up before then. :old:

Mister X, Jorge and Radio Raheem like this.
  5. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Nice Christmas present, Congratulations!!!
    My wife got me worried a few days ago, she said that for Christmas she wants to buy me "Ariston Forte" turntable I am ogling on Audiogon! Maybe she knows something about my biopsy results??
    AFs.jpg

That would be nice to have info on bi-amping, bi-wiring, active x-overs and such in one convenient table. I researched this 10 years ago when switched to active x-over for Naim SBLs, and then also bought passive external x-over with bi-amp option. To complete the package, even bought (fake Chinese) AudioQuest speaker wires for bi-wiring, but never even tried those. And, funny thing, if someone asks me today I won't be able to explain how to go about any of these upgrades. Except, of course, bi-wiring because it sounded memorably stupid: thin wires for highs, thick ones for lows, all plugged in one amp as sane folks do.

Anyway, if @Radio Raheem moves all unused speakers/boxes/bboxes out of the room --> extra space! :):)

Boodokhan, Mister X and Radio Raheem like this.
  6. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Many Panasonic, Technics and Aiwa mini-systems from the 90's and 00's were bi-amped, with separate output cables for the highs and lows. But I'm not sure whether they had two separate amps, or just filtered and split the signal from one amp.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Radio Raheem, Jorge and Mister X like this.
  7. Longman

I have two Panasonic systems like that, hence the comment. I will have to do some research. I always assumed two amps.
    If you they used cheap Amplifier ICs the cost would be similar to one larger amplifier and a crossover on the output.

p.s @Jorge. Will the Ariston have a five year guarantee ? :wink2

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Jorge and Mister X like this.
  8. Radio Raheem

Thanks guys, Houston we have a problem, these are 5ft tall lol

9. Mister X

Those are huge, much larger than the photos look. It makes me want to get my monster Marantz HD-880's out of storage. They're not my largest, I have huge Leslie Speakers, with the rotating speaker, that was gifted to me by an ice rink after the organ player died. The Marantz's will handle my reciever but the Leslie's have a built in tube amp (I think) rated at 75 watts per speakers and they will light up an ice-rink.

10. Radio Raheem

Would love to see those mr x....out of all the things i have had i think my obsession with speakers is the worst of them all my friend, i plainly did not need them but had to have them, i didn't think once about the consequences, i only had them cheap as they were listed as collection only, I'm paying good traveling handling expenses though so all good

11. Mister X

I've got 2-1/2 skids of speakers, I was buying them for cheap, like $5-10 USD 10+ years ago, now they're actually worth something. Some of mine are Kilpsch Heresays, Polk 10's (and several small sets), Several Pioneer/Sansui with the cross-hatched wood grills, ADC, Fisher (old), Advent (mid and small), full set of Frazier Dixielanders with 6? huge horns, 2x Technics Phase Linear Series, B&W and a bunch I can't remember. I consider most of them to be mid-fi but they work just fine with my vintage mid-fi equpiment. When you do have a lot you tend to notice the dogs right away, like tape decks, the Pioneer and Sansui Speakers are really bright and hard to enjoy.

Radio Raheem and Jorge like this.
  12. Longman

I just downloaded and checked the schematic for my RX-E300 boombox with Bi-Amp ed speakers.
    It uses two AN7135 stereo amplifiers ICs, one for the bass and one for the treble. A big clue is that the output decoupling capacitors are 2200uF for the Bass and only 10uF for the treble. Each AN7135 also has a different filtering arrangement on its input

Bass Amp Treble Amp
    Panasonic Bass Amp.jpg Panasonic Treble Amp.jpg

13. Radio Raheem

This answers the question of using 2 old 80's amps for the 4 channels it just woudn't work imho and i would risk blowing one of the amps as i would be running a high load into a pair of tweeters which i am not willing to risk....my monitor audio are bi wired to i think all new speakers are these days.......if you ask me it's a feature that wasn't needed imho

Jorge likes this.
  14. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

I know this configuration exists but I have never seen it in production .... 4 speakers of the same size with different impedance on woofer and tweeter and a different equalization network in input to the amplification ... each chip only amplifies the band assigned passerby ... @Longman feels okay ?? I have never tested such a thing

Attached Files:

Radio Raheem and Jorge like this.
  15. Longman

I don't know why they claim the speakers are the same. Later in the same manual it clearly shows that the treble speakers are smaller than the woofers
    RX-e300 speakers.jpg
    One of the Panasonic Cobras does have the bizarre arrangement where the long throw woofers (with the fancy surround the always rots) is smaller than the tweeter although even there the speakers are clearly different.

I wonder how much of this was marketing hype (although they couldn't have labels on the speakers saying "Bi-Amp system" if they didn't have one), how much it was for better performance, and how much (if anything) it added to the cost. The AN7135 ICs (a Panasonic device) were probably a couple of dollars each for them and the resistors etc on the inputs would be cents.

They were still at it recently
    https://www.panasonic.com/uk/support/discontinued-products/home-entertainment/sc-akx660e.html
    The 1700W is pure marketing hype. In the the specs it says normal power consumption is 190W.
    If you can feed that in and get 1700W out then the energy crisis is solved :ok

16. allan1836

allan1836 New Member

Hi Sir ! I just recently pass up on a smooth Mission 735 tower speakers that looks very similar to your 705. It sold for 190 UK pounds (converted). I think the 735 came out in the 90's and was also a 5 star awardee in What Fi. Congrats on your new toy. :thumbsup2:

17. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

That seems like it may have come from another manual. The front page of the RX-E300 manual says the "woofers" are 8cm and the "tweeters" are 6x7cm

18. Radio Raheem

They look very similar Allan just the woofers look smaller lad, nice looking speakers my friend:thumbsup2:

Jorge likes this.
  19. Radio Raheem

well there in. all i can say the sound is jaw dropping, even though there 5ft i did not expect them to be so good the treble is natural and not metallic sounding like the monitor audio gx300 the bass is deeper despite missions claim of only 38 hz and monitor audio's claim of 30 hz it just goes to prove you can't get what you had yesteryear I'm blown away buy them and yes they are 5 ft tall........i had a pair of mission 753 once and all i can say they were garbage compared to these

well worth the 30 year wait...the other pair of missions mentioned in this thread will not compare to these as these have 8" drivers and the 735 look to only be about 5" if anyone can get a pair of 705 i would highly recommend it lads, apart from there large size nothing can be said against them, i will say one thing though they are not 250w like they say online lol

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    Jorge and Emiel like this.
  20. Radio Raheem

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    Jorge likes this.