Best repair services in the world

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by walkman archive, Jun 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

They have moved a few doors down the road.

2. stereomecha99

stereomecha99 Active Member

Ah shame, they gave me a quote of £130 which seemed fair enough considering I got this blue DD (which is already rare enough) for only £70. Sad to hear you had a bad experience, I heard great things about the shop in Barcelona in particular. I think I'll do exactly what you said! Thanks.

3. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Who's a good repairman in Australia?

4. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

@buzbox is probably best to answer

5. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Sorry for the late reply to this. I can help but depends on what is to be repaired. I can only help clean, replace belts or broken gears. There is a guy on Gumtree in Australia that can help with repairing all kinds of vintage electronics. He also advertises that he can repair Walkmans.

@PJ0688 what Walkman do you need repairs on and what is the issue?

6. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

The DD33 needs a new gear and has an issue with power, turns on for 2 seconds, does nothing and turns off. The D6C has some sort of weird interference and in the recording circuits and needs the battery terminals cleaned and... a replacement front face panel, because some of the text has rubbed off. The D5M needs a new idler, pinch roller and the recording amps needs to be recapped. The WM-3 has crap 'wow & flutter' and hum from the motor.

The DD33 is the one I'd like to spend money on right now though.

7. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

I can help with the DD33 only with the gear replacement. I do have a few replacement gears left over. Can also replace the rubber belt on the pulley. The power issue might be out of my skill set. I'm happy to take a look at it but you'll have to wait til mid October as I'll be overseas til then. Whereabouts are you in Australia? I'm in Melbourne.

PJ0688 likes this.
  8. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Power turning off after a short while may be the the auto-shutoff kicking in (the electronic one, instead of the mechanical one which it also has). Electronic auto-stop will kick in when it senses no rotation of the capstan. I don't know if the DD33 in particular have this electronic stop, but at least some other DDs does, so it's quite likely that it is also present on the DD33.

Here's some scenarios that I imagine could be the case. You said it does nothing, so depending on how severe nothing is, I'd guess it 2,3, or 4:

1. It is triggered mechanically. The damaged center gear has center gear seized up the capstan flywheel. In which case you only need a gear replacement.
    2. Motor is slipping, unable to turn the capstan since the rubber ring has hardened/is damaged. In which case you only need a new rubber ring.
    3. Motor in not running. In which case power to the motor may be interrupted or the motor itself may be seized/broken (rarely happens)
    4. FG Servo circuit is not working. In which case the to the FG servo circuit is interrupted (check the wires going to the coil under the capstan flywheel) or the coil itself may be broken (quite unlikely, I think. But I have encountered this on the TPS-L2/WM-3)

PJ0688 likes this.
  9. Marcos

Marcos New Member

I was wondering if anyone know's about an excellent service person/shop in Canada? I have a beautiful DD9 that unfortunately needs some attention...

Thank you

10. naanmic

naanmic New Member

Same here any good technician in India?

11. Walkmaniac

Walkmaniac Member

Galaxy Repairs in London have been great, They've repaired about 4 of my Walkmans.

12. philipbeyma

philipbeyma New Member

I want to recommend @matic777 for his service made to my Sony DDii Walkman
    .He fix the central gear .Azimuth calibration .tape aligment path and some missing parts .
    Very fast, reliable, great communication and reasonable service price.
    Best regards .
    Filippos from Greece

13. agrabois

agrabois New Member

Hello to all
    I was looking for an experienced technician to restore my ddII and my F5. I first thought doing it myself but was too scared to destroy them. As I requested for advices here frblaze (Boris) contacted me here.
    He is active on the forum, has restored quite a few walkmans of which he has a significant collection.
    He has fixed both my old DDII and F5 (including capacitors)
    If anyone is, like I was, searching for a nice guy to help in France, he is the one.
    antoine

14. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Another guy that's been around awhile is skywavebe, he worked for TEAC and Sony Factory Service near Chicago and now owns Skywave Tape Deck Repair. He kicks around tapeheads a lot, maybe we can get him to join here. His website has some great information and yes, this address is correct and not spam. He works on Sony WM-D6's, and more. I have not used him.

http://s609729863.onlinehome.us/

Boodokhan likes this.
  15. TooCooL4

Mister X did you scroll down and have a look at the cr*p he is peddling about Joe Biden?

I do know of Skywave on Tapeheads, but I did not know he is one of the conspiracy theory guys. To be honest, you should not encourage him to join here.

16. Mister X

I deal with 100's of people every month, if I disregarded the ones I don't agree with it would be a sad day.

17. TooCooL4

Mister X okay, I guess if they keep their cr*p to themselves or on their own website I guess it's okay.

Mister X and Boodokhan like this.
  18. Mister X

Plus you have to look at their actions, he's been very helpful to the tape community for years. I'm sure super-busy but he's given free advice and helped the hobby in a bunch of ways, I bet if any one of us walked in his front door he'd be more than happy to help us.

19. TooCooL4

Okay Mister X so he is helpful to everyone, but all I can say is he is an ill informed man. The evidence is out there, but he still sticks with the conspiracy theories.
    One of my best friends is the same, I love her dearly but she is ill informed for an intelligent person. Still to each his / her own.

20. DK0

DK0 New Member

I had Deb64 (in the UK) service my nearly 40-year-old Sony WM-D6 Pro Walkman. (I discovered her via Stereo2go, after a long search for someone who could repair and service a WM-D6.) Her pricing is reasonable, and her work is nothing short of superb!

I received my WM-D6 back from Deb64 a few days ago. A delightful experience began as soon as I unpacked it. First off, the unit looked brand new, just as it did the day I took it out of the box it came in nearly 40 years ago! I put the D6 through its paces, and I must say, I'm extremely impressed with the repair/service job she did on it. (By the way, I am an audiophile in the United States with a rather critical ear, and I have quite a bit of live recording, production, editing, mixing, and mastering experience.)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021