The only USA made boombox?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I found this Elgin 54448 Early Boombox over on Ebay, there's no markings on the data plate, could this be USA Made? Most imported equipment had to have the country of origin marked on the case, except USA.

I was looking at some of the other listings and some have no country and some say the usual places for electronics. The cord is marked "Kawasaki" but they might have been buying them bulk. This is a pretty neat looking little boomer, I love the modern look to it.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/165307685165?hash=item267d1b192d:g:ZP8AAOSwozph9aEo

Elgin.jpg

2. systemBuilder

systemBuilder New Member

I don't really think there were many USA-made radios or cassette recorders in the 1960s through the 1980s (this was my childhood, I got a Panasonc RF-561 in 1971). Just building a half-decent tape transport means you'd probably have to sell 10M units a year. My grandparents had an emerson two-antenna(?) AM/FM 1960s radio and I believe that could have been made in the USA. But the cassette part? No, I doubt it.

Mister X likes this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I guess that's the bigger question, were there any USA made tape transports? I think from my reading it was only Japanese and European to begin with, the USA Brands had imported tape players. Elgin could be the rare one since they were making equipment here.