Sony srf-201

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Ivajlo B, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Ivajlo B

Ivajlo B New Member

Hi all, found this radio sony srf-201 in perfect external condition, but have no information about his functionallity.Maybe battery is for replacement.Is it possible to find user manual or service manual.On the docking station have charge led indicator, but have no light.A very interesting product from Sony.
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Mister X likes this.
  2. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

A very interesting product indeed !
    Have never seen one of these before. It looks almost like those cassette type radios that were used in 80s walkmans.

A quick search renders no relevant information about it in regard to manuals. The only way to find out is to open it and put some pictures here. I can guide you through it if you put more pictures.

3. Ivajlo B

Ivajlo B New Member

Yes, interesting sony product.This is not walkman option radio.In fact sony has a service manual, but no way to find for free.It is difficult to be dissasebbled, because station knob is mounted with screw under aluminium circle.May damaged and all beauty of radio will loosed.I hope someone to have manuals.

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it's the tiny credit card radio, most of the above photo is also showing the charger cradle holding the radio. Press the two buttons on the bottom and it releases the radio portion. It looks like yours is missing the proprietary headphones, they clip on the side and are impossible to find, you might be able to figure out the five button pin-out and rig something up.

Mine is doing shelf queen duty, if you find more information post is here, I might have some info in the Walkman Archeaolgy Thread but I can't remember.

5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Click on the sideways arrows on Radiomuseum to see how the back comes off to reveal what look to be standard AAA Nicads
    https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_walkman_srf_201.html

Raul and Valentin like this.
  6. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

The batteries go in the cradle to charge the credit-card thick radio, it has it's own internal battery.

7. Ivajlo B

Ivajlo B New Member

After few weeks I got time to dissassembly this beauty.Inside is with smd components and two tiny batteries.The batteryes is 1.2v each, ni-cd in my opinion, model gf40.Is it possible to find similar models in size and voltage. These days li-ion 3v are with these sizes, but they are specific to be charged.
    Here a picture what is inside.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      393.9 KB
      Views:
    Mister X and Valentin like this.
  8. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

NiMH are the same voltage so should be a close match. Coin cells were used a lot for backing up the clocks in computers. My Toshiba Libretto uses ones much smaller than the SRF-201. However, they tend to be made into packs. You might have to find something like this
    https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/button-rechargeable-batteries/0422387
    and spit it into the individual cells.

Mister X likes this.