DD11 white plastic pin

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by VinylBox, Jun 11, 2022.

1. VinylBox

VinylBox New Member

I have made a mistake and destroyed the black pin on the board, the one that gets pressed by the cassette through the white knob that is inside the cassette compartment. The Walkman is working how it should. Now I wonder what the pin does?!
    16549530544856641757373223970850.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  2. VinylBox

VinylBox New Member

I want to share: The white plastic pin stops the motor when the lid is opened while the Walkman is playing the cassette. Another mechanism resets the head assembly to release the cassette. What leads me to another question:

Why is it necessary to stop the motor before the head assembly resets? Could the Walkman be damaged? Or is it just Sony's advanced engineering?

Would be great if someone knows.

3. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

My guess is that is designed to stop the motor in order to avoid chewing the tape.
    Unlike the DD, DDII, DDIII, DD30, DD33, DD100, DC2 on which the pinch roller and head are into the carriage itself, on the DD1, DD10, DD11 and DD22, the carriage is just to hold the cassette to save cost.
    Given this, on the former the pinch roller will lift from the tape as soon as you open the door, while on the latter pinch roller will remain engaged and rotating (but takeup reel will no longer make contact
    with the cassette hub) until the auto-stop is engaged by lifting the carriage.

Attached Files:

• DD11.jpg
      DD11.jpg
      File size:
      515.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    Emiel and VinylBox like this.
  4. VinylBox

VinylBox New Member

That makes sense, thank you for your explanation! So if the lid opens for example in your pocket just a little bit and the cassette gets lifted, the motor stops to avoid chewing the tape. If the lid is lifted a few mm more, the pinch roller and head reset. That IS an example of Sony's thoughtful and advanced engineering!

My guess for the need of two switches is that they behave differently. The white knob / switch has three states: Motor on when knob is up, motor on when knob is pushed down and motor off when knob is released. Very smart! The second switch in your picture seems to only work on/off.

5. Valentin

Yes, the leaf switch on the left side of the picture is just an on/off and is triggered by pressing PLAY, FF or REW. That type is present on the other series as well.

Please explain in more detail how that white switch works, as you mentioned 3 positions and switch is single pole single throw.

6. VinylBox

VinylBox New Member

I will try: It only has 2 positions but 3 states (4 states if I think about it).

It doesn't stop the motor in the state of being up (1), it doesn't stop the motor when being pressed (2), it doesn't stop the motor when being down (3). It only stops the motor when being released (4). That's what I find interesting.

State 1: Up = motor on.
    State 2: Being pressed = motor stays on.
    State 3: Down = motor on.
    State 4: Being released = motor shuts off.

You can try it out. Without a cassette, press play and lift the lid only that a small screwdriver, toothpick, whatever fits through the gap. Press the white knob, the Walkman keeps running. Release the knob, the motor stops.

I hope it is more clear now and hope I didn't add more confusion, I am not good at explaining ...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    Valentin likes this.
  7. Valentin

It is crystal clear now, you're good at explaining :).

It only shuts the motor off in state 4, because there's an electronic latch in the circuit. This is how it's designed to operate.

VinylBox likes this.
  8. VinylBox

VinylBox New Member

Thank you :)

Sony thought about the case what might happen when the lid gets lifted just a bit when carrying the device. They care for the wellbeing of your cassettes. No wonder the DD series is rated so high by many fans of the brand. It's not only the sound quality, it's the whole design that makes these devices extraordinary.