Sony WM-fx455 speed adjustment?

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Willem de Boer, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Willem de Boer

Willem de Boer New Member

Hi, I recently found a Sony WM-FX455 on a flea market. I liked the look of it. Of course the belt was broken, so I replaced that. Now I find it runs a little slow. Other Sony's from that era I have are fairly easy to adjust, the word 'speed' is often on the circuit board. Some have a hole in the body to stick a screwdriver through.
    Not so on the WM-FX455. Does anyone have a picture for me showing where the speed adjustment pot is on the circuit board?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  2. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Look into the Section 3 (page 7 of pdf) of the service manual, the speed adjustment trimpot is RV601.
    You didn't see it because it's on the bottom board, below the radio board, but there is a hole in the radio PCB to put a screwdriver through.

According to the picture, you don't even need to take the cover off, as there is a hole in the plastic cover that goes all the way to the bottom board.

Service manual: https://freeservicemanuals.info/en/servicemanuals/download/Sony/wm-fx453.pdf

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  3. Willem de Boer

Thank you so much, @Valentin ! However, on my FX455, where there should be a hole for the adjustment as per service manual, there is only a punch that probably has not been punched out. Production error? I'll take off the back cover and see if I can punch it out.

4. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

If there is not a hole, remove the radio PCB (while keeping it connected) and adjust with it tilted.

5. Willem de Boer

I will have a look today. It's early morning here. Maybe European and US models are not identical?

6. Willem de Boer

So, I removed the back, and lo and behold, the adjustment is right behind the unpunched hole. Screw was very tiny, I had not recognized it as such. So I have opened the hole in the back and now it can be adjusted unopened! I'm very happy as I liked all of its features. Thanks again!

Valentin and Emiel like this.