Hi all, into all types of DIY audio

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by itsikhefez, Jul 4, 2022.

1. itsikhefez

itsikhefez New Member

Hi all,

New to this forum but have been fairly active in other DIY audio sites such as DIYAudio, AudioKarma and more recently tapeheads.

I've done a wide range of DIY builds and restorations, from AMB, Bottlehead and Elekit kits and projects, to vintage receiver and amp restorations (mostly Sansui), to more recently Nakamichi tape decks.
    Attached a few of the projects I've done in the past.

I've acquired some non-working Walkmans and hoping to get help from this forum on repair tips. Hopefully in the future I will be able to contribute back.

Great to meet you all.

Attached Files:

Mister X, Valentin and Jorge like this.
  2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Welcome. You must be one of the few people whose first post isn't "where can I get my xxxxxxx fixed? ".

Jorge likes this.
  3. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Welcome! Your intro post reminds me to share more of my own rebuilds,… not of my disease of collecting Discmans and such o_O

Do you collect anything?

Mister X likes this.
  4. itsikhefez

itsikhefez New Member

Hi and thanks both!

I mainly collect vinyl, but have a few hundred CDs (from past collection) and have recently started with a modest cassette collection, both prerecorded and blanks. I really like the progression of wrapper and shell design from the various brands.

I tend to get in and out of anything audio related. At one point I was really into vintage gear and had Sansui AU-999, 9500, Eight, 5000X, 5000A, Luxman L80V, Yamaha CA-1000. I restored them and eventually sold most of them.

Now my project area contains tape decks, Nakamichi BX-300, BX-150, BX-2, LX-3 and Aiwa AD-F770 so that is a small deck collection.

More recently I’ve been trying to get into Walkmans (I had many as a kid) but have not been able to get even a single one working properly yet.

How about you?

Mister X and Jorge like this.
  5. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Stereo2go itsikhefez

I am no good at DIY, hence I pay people who know what they are doing to fix things for me. :nwink:

Jorge likes this.
  6. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Collecting Vinyl is the worst of my own obsessions, if you ask me ( or @TooCooL4 ) this one has the excuse of being the best audio no matter what the cost

Mister X likes this.
  7. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Correction @Jorge i don't collect Vinyl, i buy music i want to listen to most of them just happen to be on Vinyl :nwink:

Mister X likes this.
  8. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I have fixed successfully fixed quite a few Walkmans and other personal stereos, as illustrated in some posts on here. However, I suspect that the most expensive Personal Stereo I have ever bought was the low end Sanyo I bought new back in the mid 1980s. If you only pay a few £s/$s for one you won't be disappointed if you can't fix it. That reminds me, I have a WM25 sat at the back of my desk here waiting for a new headphone socket. That one was a couple of £s at a car boot sale several years ago.

9. itsikhefez

itsikhefez New Member

For those that are into vinyl, one thing that I am really into is DIY phono preamps. I've built quite a few by now, although ironically I am currently using a Schiit Mani because I sold them all.
    I do have another 2 in the works that will go into the main system once completed.

Attached Files:

Mister X and Valentin like this.
  10. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I haven't done an exact count but I think I have around 2000+ albums all boxed up waiting for some play time! I joined the Vevor Ultrasonic Cleaner Club but haven't got that running yet, I am excited to start cleaning the collection.
    https://www.vevor.com/ultrasonic-cl...machine-complete-w-drying-rack-p_010265133877
    They dropped the price, it's really cheap now.

I think I've been on AK longer than here since I've got a serious audio fetish and love audio equipment for it's beauty and the fact you can play music on it. I've always loved tape equipment, portable music was a big part of the 80's and maybe the reason why it was the golden age of music.

Feel free to post anything cool, we love it all.