Help with Sony Walkman WM-R55 (Fixed)

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by walkmanoob, Jul 20, 2022.

1. walkmanoob

walkmanoob New Member

Hi all,
    I'm trying to get of one these repaired and there isn't much information out there. I was able to find a post on the WM-55 in these forums but there are not that similar. I was also able to find the repair manual but there are a few things that I need help with.
    Does anybody know how the belt (or belts) is mounted? I ordered a replacement and I got two very thin belts. I'm not even sure if those are the right parts. Can anybody help me with that? Maybe one is for the counter?
    thanks beforehand!

Attached Files:

2. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome
    Have you tried to mount it like this?

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 2.20.27 PM.jpg

Mister X likes this.
  3. walkmanoob

walkmanoob New Member

thanks so much Silver965, that was my initial thought based on other walkmans I have seen but the second belt made me doubt. I will try that and report back. Thanks again!

4. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

The other belt should be for the counter.

These also have rubber idler wheel to drive the spindles in play mode. If it's slipping, it needs to be changed. It's located below the left capstan flywheel. You'll need to remove the left capstan and the gear arm below it to change the idler.

5. walkmanoob

walkmanoob New Member

Thanks for confirming about the small belt, stuck-in-time! Yes, I read about the idler. If the belt doesn't do it I will work on that next (I just looked a bit more complicated). I will try today if I have time. Thank you!

6. walkmanoob

walkmanoob New Member

Ok, here is my first update.
    Seller said that the small belt was for the counter so I went ahead and put the big belt the way Silver965 suggested. Bingo! all internal parts move. However the front cylinders (?) that are supposed to move the tape only work from time to time with FW and RW. If I push the play button the internal parts move but not the cylinders. Time to change the idler? If so how do I remove the capstan as stuck-in-time suggests? is it from the front?
    thanks everyone!

stuck-in-time likes this.
  7. walkmanoob

walkmanoob New Member

Second update.
    Motor in on all the time, even after I press stop. Any ideas? :(

It looks like all lights turn off if I press stop but the motor keeps spinning. The only way to stop it is by removing the batteries.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  8. walkmanoob

walkmanoob New Member

Third update replying to myself just in case it is helpful for someone else in the future.
    It turns out that two little metal plates were touching each other the whole time when they shouldn't. I think they are supposed to make contact only when they white plastic arm underneath moves (whatever that mechanism is).

Can somebody let me know about the idler? I will be ordering one soon. I think I have to remove a ring from the front but I don't know how and I don't want to break anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      304.1 KB
      Views:
  9. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Yes, those are the symptoms of the idler needing replacement.

To remove the capstan, you need to remove the washer ring from the front. The unit does not have to be disassembled. But do be careful, the washers are tiny and they tend to fly out and disappear, which is very annoying.
    The idler and gear assembly is also held in place in a similar manner, but from the backside.

The casptan is a metal rod and it has a groove where the locking washer sits. The washer is a thin flexible ring shaped like an O, but with a slit on 1 side (like a closed C). This allows it to open up to be removed from/attached to the capstan. Don't lose it!

Don't forget to take pictures before disassembly so you know which part goes where.

Raul and Mister X like this.
  10. walkmanoob

walkmanoob New Member

awesome, thank you so much! I just ordered the idler (based on what I have read from a forum member here) so it will take a while. I will report back once I try. thank you again!

11. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I'd also have some IPA with foam Q-tips for cleaning. For some reason everything in there looks like they used it for practice, lot's of scratches and odd discolorations. Clean off the brass gears with IPA, the black spots look like sticky black goo from old belts and they will slow down anything spinning.

Good luck!

12. walkmanoob

walkmanoob New Member

Will do! I don't think it was opened before but it was in pretty rough shape. I might have caused some of the discolorations when cleaning the old sticky belt. Apart from the problem with the belt lights would only turn on intermittently. The culprit was one of the screws that connects the battery terminal to the board. I think there was some battery leakage or rust that corroded it and made it crack. I ended up making a new terminal and having to clean part of the board to get a good contact. At least it is much better than a week ago :)
    Looking forward to receiving the new rubber part to see if everything works. Hopefully it will go smoothly. Will report back asap. Thanks everyone again!

13. walkmanoob

walkmanoob New Member

A quick update. I received the idler and installed it. In the process I had to desolder the speaker because it was getting in the way. Everything seemed to be better but I run into a few problems. Sometimes FW would stop. Sometimes play would stop. Sometimes the motor would spin but the belt wouldn't. I think it was a combination of the back side not being mounted properly, some of the inner wires rubbing and some of the gears not being completely clean. Now everything *seems* to be working. I resoldered the speaker and I'm waiting to get a tape to see if it works properly. I will update soon.

14. walkmanoob

walkmanoob New Member

Unfortunately no sound with a good tape. At some point while repairing it I could hear the tape. Now just static. I checked continuity and the speaker seems to be re-soldered ok. Is continuity an indicator that it should be working? any thoughts on other potential problems that might be causing this?

Edit:
    I dismantled it again. Both with headphones and the speaker I can hear pops and volumen go up and down so I don't think it has to do with the speakers.

Edit 2: I finally figured it out. The little PB/REC switch in one of the internal boards was on REC. I moved it and everything seems to be working now!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022