walkman motor (Wm-r55)

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by walkmanoob, Aug 18, 2022.

1. walkmanoob

walkmanoob New Member

hi!
    I'm looking for a motor. According to Sony the part is M901 mnr-8000b
    does anyone know how to repair it, or where I can get one of these or something similar? or other walkmans that share this motor? I believe the magnet cracked
    thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

If the magnets are broken, forget about repairing it. However, given how rusty it looks it is possible that the rotor has rusted so much that there's not air gap between it and the magnets.
    I assume the problem is that rotor is completely locked.

At this point opening it won't hurt anything. Try to pry the back cover out with a flatblade screwdriver from the wires' hole. If that's not possible, cut a small V or U shape on the lateral side (or bend it), so you can pry the cover.

The most delicate part of such motors are the very fine brushes. You should try to remove the rotor and back cover together, as there is usually a washer beneath the commutator which will bent the brushes if rotor is not removed carefully.

For finding the motor, I think chances are very slim to find an exact replacement (without a donor unit). However if you measure it's external dimension, shaft dimater you may be able to find a new one that's close to it.
    The WM-55 is probably using the same motor, as for other cheaper ones I don't know. You can search in service manuals for the part number.

3. walkmanoob

walkmanoob New Member

Thanks Valentin! I checked and it is the magnet. It is in a few pieces :(
    the motor is 25mm (diameter) x 5mm (height).
    I'm quite new to the forums so do you think it would be ok if I created a post in the wanted/for sale section? thank you again!

4. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Of course, that's what I wanted to suggest but forgot to do it. Post in the "Gear that you want section", that's the most likely place where you will find someone who has it.

With the dimensions, I suggest doing a search on ebay, aliexpress and on the web and see what you find. Also note the voltage at which it operates.

5. walkmanoob

walkmanoob New Member

thanks! everything online seems to be bit bigger than this so I guess I'm out of luck. Oh well, let's see if one shows up in the future :)

6. Frankable

Frankable Member

Could a MNR 8000A work?
    But the size is 26mm diameter, 5,3mm thick

Attached Files:

7. walkmanoob

walkmanoob New Member

Thanks Frankable! I have no idea if it will fit but it might be worth a try if nothing else shows up.

8. walkmanoob

walkmanoob New Member

I tried a couple of motors from Ebay but no luck. Too big and different magnet designs. Since nothing else showed up after a month I will try Frankable's, who has been kind enough to check a couple of options for me. Thanks everyone!

9. walkmanoob

walkmanoob New Member

Shout-out to Frankable, who took the time to send me a couple of motors. One of them seems to work just perfectly. Thank you Frank and everyone again!

Frankable and Emiel like this.