Are the matsui walkmans any good?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by yellowyears, Sep 1, 2022.

1. yellowyears

yellowyears New Member

There's very little info on the internet, I saw a Bbfx 21 in a shop for dirt cheap (9.99), but not sure how much it would have been at MSRP or if it even works as well as they describe
    It seems like it would be a low-end walkman but enough to get me by I suppose

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Matsui was/is just a marketing name used by Dixons/Currys. Other names they used were Saisho and Logik.
    Matsui seems to have been a brand they used in the 1990s. All of these were always offered as a low cost alternative to brand names like Sharp.
    Because the units were just bought in it is quite possible that they could have been selling rubbish and good units made in different factories at the same time.
    I have commented before how (for me) it wasn't long ago that Samsung and Goldstar (LG) were brands with zero reputation that you would only buy if you could afford a Sanyo.
    I don't have any Dixons catalogues new enough to show Matsui products but here are some Saisho ones
    Saisho personal.jpg

p.s. How are you getting on in the HiFi front ?
    I was in a charity shop and saw a boxed Pioneer AV amp with loads of inputs for £55 which made me think of you.

3. yellowyears

yellowyears New Member

Yeah, it seems sort of bottom of the barrel despite having a decent amount of features. Hopefully I luck out and it's one of the good units, but they said it was tested and working fine.
    I haven't bought any new hardware, the setup I have is working decently (for now at least), but it's sounding really good and my collection of tapes is growing slowly... picked up some free ones outside a shop a while ago that sound flawless and have preorded the new Arctic Monkeys album on cassette :)