Hopefully an easy general tech question ??

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Cassette_Noob, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Cassette_Noob

Cassette_Noob New Member

Does anyone know the wire gauge in the older Walkman's? [Examples: TPS-L2, WM-2, WM-1, WM-3, et cetera] A follow up question would be, does anyone know where I can purchase replacements or brand names that make replacements?

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Sorry I don't know, here's a thread that might help...
    https://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/sony-tps-l2-microphone-wire.3743/

I'd take a micrometer and measure the wire or wire with casing. The size of the wire won't matter if it's close (the unit will work fine) but for restoration it might look bad if it's too big. I'd get wire locally at the Menard's, Home Depot, etc but the small wire I'd get on Amazon or Ebay.

3. Cassette_Noob

Cassette_Noob New Member

Thanks!! I'll take some measurements and see if I can post them on here. The inner gauge is important for impedance and current load handling, but I have noticed that the outer gauge is important if you want all the wire paths to still fit. I thought I found the correct gauge (30ga.), but the wires needed a certain flexibility and kept popping back off no matter how good my solder job was. The thinner the insulation, the less flexible they were, but more flexible thicker insulation meant that putting it all back together was more challenge than it was worth.

4. radiorich

radiorich Active Member

Hello Cassette Noob,
    Another good source of wire is old retired VCRS and other electronics like printers but I buy my wire from mouser electronics in 100ft rolls what you need for this is flexiable very small guage wire !

Sincerely Richard

Mister X likes this.
  5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

That depends on the age of the VCR. When I scrapped a U-Matic VCR I saved the wiring harness as it had yards of useful looking wire in it. In contrast I think the only wire in my newest VCRs is the mains cable.

If you find some broken, no name Chinese product they often contain a surprising amount of wire as they seem to rely on cheap labour rather than clever engineering with flexi PCBs etc.

Mister X likes this.
  6. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I never thought about snipping wire before on old electronics, now I'm kicking myself.....

7. Cassette_Noob

Cassette_Noob New Member

The outer diameter of the wire is 0.6mm and the stranded core appears to be 0.3mm. So far I have found 30 gauge wire with an outer diameter of 0.6mm, but the insulation is PVC material and it's solid core, aka very brittle. I need to find stranded silicone insulated 30 gauge wire with an outer diameter of 0.6mm. I never thought to look at bigger electronics!! I gotta grab an old VCR from a thrift store and check it out!! Awesome idea!

8. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

I usually get some broken USB cables, and get the internal cables out. The gauge of the wires seem to vary by brand. It's a very cheap solution as you get 4 times the length of the original cable.

Cassette_Noob likes this.
  9. radiorich

radiorich Active Member

Hello longman ,
    there no shortage of good used wire out there !

Mr X don't beat yourself up !

Sincerely Richard