Walkman D6 / D6C Rechargeable Battery Pack (BP-23)

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Lincoln Scott, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Lincoln Scott

Lincoln Scott New Member

Hello everyone!! Just had a quick question here, so the rechargeable battery pack that was an optional accessory for the Walkman D6 and possibly the D6C what is the method of charging?

Does the Walkman allow charging internally? Example if I had the BP-23 installed could you plug in the AC adapter and have it charge the batteries internally without having to remove them?

Then is there any difference between using the BP-23 VS just installing some rechargeable batteries into the stock battery pack as is?

Also is there any difference between the D6 & D6C and how they charge or the path of current? (Can one charge and the other not?)

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I read through the service manuals and didn't read anything about this subject so I was just curious.

Again, thank you all very much for the help!
    Kind regards,
    Lincoln

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

thid likes this.
  3. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Taken from the 1984 German Sony Audio catalog, here is a similar battery pack: BP-23.
    Given the lack of adapter or other accessories listed, I assume it is charged in the device itself.

upload_2022-10-11_12-58-41.png

Yehuda Nataf and thid like this.
  4. Lincoln Scott

Lincoln Scott New Member

I see now that I had a brain fart and named it incorrectly!! It is the BP-23 and not the CP-23 haha. Sorry I have had capacitors on my mind lol

I have edited the original post to correct it.

5. mattb1970

mattb1970 Member

6. Lincoln Scott

Lincoln Scott New Member

7. gmac34

gmac34 Member

The walkman can charge the BP-23 internally, the middle pin in the battery "receptacle" is the charging pin, it is connected directly the positive of the barrel plug when the plug is connected. Inside the BP-23 there is a resistor to limit the charge current, the rest is just 4 NiCd cells in series.
    The regular battery carrier only has two pins so it doesn't try to recharge whatever battery you put inside, rechargeable or not.

Attached Files:

8. Raul

Raul Active Member

I think new rechargeable batteries are NiMH or even LiIon, I don't think they would charge properly if charged as NiCd.

9. gmac34

gmac34 Member

You could trickle charge NiMH the same as NiCd, it would be much slower than an external fast charger but it would work, it's probably the best way to "restore" a BP-23, new NiCd are available but early go over 700-900 mAh (1/3 the capacity of a good NiMh),
    As with NiCd you should not leave it connected all the time and unplug the walkman after 8-10h to avoid hurting the cells.
    Lithium would need a charge controller, not much of an issue but it will take up space and would be difficult to beat the battery life of four NiMH, see here for examples:
    https://www.tapeheads.net/threads/rechargeable-li-ion-conversion-for-marantz-pmd-sony-wm-d5.85273
    The nice ting about these solutions is that you could have the unit charging all the time, and always ready to go, thats what I have in my Marantz 430.