Help with a Sony WM-F5 KNVB

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by jdl, Dec 31, 2022.

Tags:
  1. jdl

jdl New Member

Hi, new to the forum, I've owned this WM-F5 KNVB for over 35 years, bought it new as a teenager at an off-market electronics store in Queens, NY. Until yesterday, had always assumed that KNVB was a radio station somewhere... Overall I'd give it a 7 -7.5 in terms of condition, very good as can be seen from photos, no major mars or marks, just very light normal scratches from wear. a couple minor issues (the gasket on the cassette window on the back has come partially unadhered, the bridge on one of the rubber headphone jack gaskets has broken at the bridge), all major parts ( interior aa battery cover, detachable belt clip, matching orange minijack earbuds with silicone rubber ear exserts) are present

Operationally from brief inspection it seems fine. Tunes and outputs fm signal to headphones, cassette motors seem to work fine, but havent tested w an actual cassette.

Anyway, I'm trying to gauge what's possible w this. Obviously, I've deduced that its super unusual/rare, none available or sold on ebay that I could find, not more than a handful of even references to the KNVB online. Wondering what people who know more than me can deduce about desirability, collectibility, any other advice.

@renzgi thinking of you and your KNVB posts here:)

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  2. StaticAudio

StaticAudio Active Member

Well, as you may know or not know, the KNVB is the Koninklijke Nederlandse Voetbalbond (Royal Dutch Football association).
    This is a pretty rare promotional example and I find it remarkable you have found one over there. I have no idea how much of these Walkmans have been made but I don't think there are very much of these nice orange ones.

3. jdl

jdl New Member

@StaticAudio thanks for the feedback!
    Yes, KNVB understood. It is strange it turned up here, at the time I bought it i remember thinking "i dont want this stupid orange one, all of my friends have yellow ones"
    But it was *very* inexpensive. And after awhile I liked being the only one with a strange color...

4. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member